+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visitor Record or what is that we need? Please help!!

hyperviktor

Jun 18, 2023
We stay a lot in Canada but we are not immigrating, we are not working in Canada, we just simply stay here extended periods away from London.

We do travel a lot, so we have the eTA , which supposed to allow us to stay in Canada for 6 month every time, however, we keep getting questioned by immigration every time we enter.

We were suggested to get a visitor record, but that only allows for a longer stay, we want to be able to fly in-out Canada, so we can have weekends in the US etc. without the worry of being questioned at the border.

As far as I am concerned, we are following every rules, yet we are the ones who are being questioned at the border every entry.

Please advise what visa or whatever we need to be able to move freely in-out Canada.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
We stay a lot in Canada but we are not immigrating, we are not working in Canada, we just simply stay here extended periods away from London.

We do travel a lot, so we have the eTA , which supposed to allow us to stay in Canada for 6 month every time, however, we keep getting questioned by immigration every time we enter.

We were suggested to get a visitor record, but that only allows for a longer stay, we want to be able to fly in-out Canada, so we can have weekends in the US etc. without the worry of being questioned at the border.

As far as I am concerned, we are following every rules, yet we are the ones who are being questioned at the border every entry.

Please advise what visa or whatever we need to be able to move freely in-out Canada.
There is no such visa available. Whether you are allowed into Canada and for how long will always be up to CBSA. The eTA does not guarantee a six month visit. If you are travelling to Canada frequently this may be giving the appearance that you are attempting to live here vs visiting.

Reactions: CanGoldDigger

hyperviktor

Jun 18, 2023
There is no such visa available. Whether you are allowed into Canada and for how long will always be up to CBSA. The eTA does not guarantee a six month visit. If you are travelling to Canada frequently this may be giving the appearance that you are attempting to live here vs visiting.
Yes but I can live here with eTA as long as I leave 6 six month, at least I have not found anything on the contrary ??

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Yes but I can live here with eTA as long as I leave 6 six month, at least I have not found anything on the contrary ??
The eTA allows you to visit Canada temporarily, not to live here. The eTA does not guarantee a six month visit. Generally speaking, you want to be spending more time outside of Canada then inside of Canada within any twelve month period.

hyperviktor

Jun 18, 2023
Living for me is just spending a period of time somewhere, maybe there is confusion about the word itself, but let's skip that.
My understanding about the eTA is that any entry allows 6 months stay, so as long as you keep flying out and back in every 6 month or less, all should be fine, right ?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Living for me is just spending a period of time somewhere, maybe there is confusion about the word itself, but let's skip that.
My understanding about the eTA is that any entry allows 6 months stay, so as long as you keep flying out and back in every 6 month or less, all should be fine, right ?
A few misconceptions on your end.

The eTA allows UP TO a six month visit. However if and how long you are allowed into Canada is always up to CBSA when you arrive.

No, you are not necessarily fine if you keep flying out and back every six months or less. The eTA is not a residency permit. It is the equivalent of a tourist visa. This means you need to be spending more time outside of Canada than inside of Canada in any given 12 month period or you can expect issues at the border and this will be viewed as an abuse of the eTA.

If you are being sent to secondary, probably safe to assume you are spending too much time in Canada. While the difference between visiting and living may not matter to you, it matters to CBSA and they are the ones in control of your entry and length of stay.

Reactions: CanGoldDigger

hyperviktor

Jun 18, 2023
Yes, I get that that living may be defined differently, that's why I don't wanna debate that, I accept it. But I do not work here, I do not do anything I'm not allowed or shouldn't and I even consulted immigration lawyer and they were unable to advise anything else but the eTA for our situation.
We even chatted with CBSA officers if we're doing anything wrong, and they said no, they will just probably keep stopping us at entry.
And all I'm wondering if we had any other option because most of our lives and our habits are different that almost everyone else, so we never fit the box.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Yes, I get that that living may be defined differently, that's why I don't wanna debate that, I accept it. But I do not work here, I do not do anything I'm not allowed or shouldn't and I even consulted immigration lawyer and they were unable to advise anything else but the eTA for our situation.
We even chatted with CBSA officers if we're doing anything wrong, and they said no, they will just probably keep stopping us at entry.
And all I'm wondering if we had any other option because most of our lives and our habits are different that almost everyone else, so we never fit the box.
If you want to be able to travel freely in and out, then you would need to sort out getting PR.

hyperviktor

Jun 18, 2023
If you want to be able to travel freely in and out, then you would need to sort out getting PR.
There is osmething like a temporary residence permit, is that maybe what we need? I guess that would allow travel too and maybe easier to obtain ? Thanks for the input.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
There is osmething like a temporary residence permit, is that maybe what we need? I guess that would allow travel too and maybe easier to obtain ? Thanks for the input.
No. The TRP is a special permit for individuals who are otherwise inadmissible to Canada, typically due to a crime.

You would need to either get PR or manage to qualify for a work permit. However that would require finding a employer in Canada willing to give you a full time job and to go through the LMIA process. Don't think that aligns to what you are trying to do.

Again, there's really nothing that gives freedom of movement to tourists. You are always going through be subject to CBSA review on entry.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
And if you are asking about a TRV (not the same as a TRP), it's no different than an eTA in what it allows you to do. It's just much more work to obtain and unnecessary since you qualify for an eTA.

There's a reason the lawyer didn't give you other suggestions. There aren't any.

hyperviktor

Jun 18, 2023
No. The TRP is a special permit for individuals who are otherwise inadmissible to Canada, typically due to a crime.

You would need to either get PR or manage to qualify for a work permit. However that would require finding a employer in Canada willing to give you a full time job and to go through the LMIA process. Don't think that aligns to what you are trying to do.

Again, there's really nothing that gives freedom of movement to tourists. You are always going through be subject to CBSA review on entry.
Yes, work doesn't concern as we have a company in the UK and I manage the company from wherever I am.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Yes, work doesn't concern as we have a company in the UK and I manage the company from wherever I am.
So then you will need to be satisfied with the eTA, including eTA limitations and your experiences on the eTA. Or you need to get PR.

binnareyn

Jun 9, 2020

1. What is your citizenship ?
2. You can start an office for your company in Canada and apply for PR. Then travel in and out without any hassles. There could be tax implications though. Sign up for a trusted traveler program for easy access to US as well.
3. Otherwise you need a visitor visa, usually 10 year long, multiple entry. Your entry is at the discretion of a CBSA official.

Last edited: