+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

TRV from within Canada for dependents

IuriiS

Star Member
May 17, 2019
Hello. I am on a study permit in Canada doing my Ph.D. The question is about my child's TRV. As I understood, the only option to apply for TRV from within Canada is to have a study or work permit. What can I do with my child's TRV? Is it possible to apply for my kid visa from within Canada? or maybe as an option to make a study permit for my kid (grade 3) and then apply for TRV? Any ideas or experience highly appreciated. Thank you!

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello. I am on a study permit in Canada doing my Ph.D. The question is about my child's TRV. As I understood, the only option to apply for TRV from within Canada is to have a study or work permit. What can I do with my child's TRV? Is it possible to apply for my kid visa from within Canada? or maybe as an option to make a study permit for my kid (grade 3) and then apply for TRV? Any ideas or experience highly appreciated. Thank you!
Is your child in Canada?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
For sure she needs a visa, otherwise, I would not ask.
Would suggest applying for a study permit for your child although you could technically still apply for a TRV. If your child is just trying to remain in Canada they can apply to extend their visitor status. If you extend I would ask for the length of extension coincide with the end of your studies.

IuriiS

Star Member
May 17, 2019
Would suggest applying for a study permit for your child although you could technically still apply for a TRV. If your child is just trying to remain in Canada they can apply to extend their visitor status. If you extend I would ask for the length of the extension to coincide with the end of your studies.
Thank you for your reply. She already has her residence record which is the length of my study permit. We just want to make TRV for her to be more flexible with traveling. It is mentioned on the IRCC website that you need to have a study or work permit to be eligible to apply for TRV from within Canada. That is why I am trying to figure out which way is better? To apply for TRV or apply for a study permit and then for TRV.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thank you for your reply. She already has her residence record which is the length of my study permit. We just want to make TRV for her to be more flexible with traveling. It is mentioned on the IRCC website that you need to have a study or work permit to be eligible to apply for TRV from within Canada. That is why I am trying to figure out which way is better? To apply for TRV or apply for a study permit and then for TRV.
As the child of a study permit holder he/she should be able to get a TRV within Canada.

IuriiS

Star Member
May 17, 2019
As the child of a study permit holder he/she should be able to get a TRV within Canada.
That is what I was thinking about. I have found the information on the internet, that a study permit for kids, she is in grade 3, is issued only for one year. So probably in my case, it will be till the end of June, however, I am not sure about it. I think I will give it a try and anyway apply for a study permit and then for TRV.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
That is what I was thinking about. I have found the information on the internet, that a study permit for kids, she is in grade 3, is issued only for one year. So probably in my case, it will be till the end of June, however, I am not sure about it. I think I will give it a try and anyway apply for a study permit and then for TRV.
Study permits can be granted for more than 1 year. I would ask for length to coincide with your study permit expiry date.

marina_abd

Mar 14, 2023
I have the same problem for my daughter , she is not at school age, so I cannot apply for study permit for her. What should I do?

IuriiS

Star Member
May 17, 2019
Previously, I had applied for a study permit for my kid, followed by a TRV application from within Canada. However, my circumstances have since changed, and my child now holds a visitor record. As a result, I recently submitted a TRV application from within Canada, along with an accompanying letter of explanation, and am currently awaiting a decision from IRCC.

amiys

Apr 8, 2023
Previously, I had applied for a study permit for my kid, followed by a TRV application from within Canada. However, my circumstances have since changed, and my child now holds a visitor record. As a result, I recently submitted a TRV application from within Canada, along with an accompanying letter of explanation, and am currently awaiting a decision from IRCC.
did you fill imm5708?