+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Transit through Frankfurt for first landing as an Indian?

Zephyrstraint

Apr 13, 2021
Hello all,

I am an Indian national with a valid COPR and a visa counterfoil in my (Indian) passport.

I will be transiting through Frankfurt , with a stay of 5 hours and in the same terminal. (Terminal 1). As far as I know I don’t think it involves leaving that terminal at all.

I saw a few other threads on this subject but most were regarding PR card holders (ie those who are already permanent residents), threads that were many years old, or gave contradictory replies.

The info on the consulate website mentions that Indian nationals with a valid Canadian visa such as temporary resident visas do not need a transit visa, but I think the single use immigrant visa I have is sort of a grey area. Lufthansa with whom I’ve booked the ticket was of no help whatsoever (which is funny given that they will need to check that I can fly through Germany when I show them my Canadian visa). I’ve also written to the German consulate with no response so far.

Has anyone with an Indian passport transited through Germany recently before their first landing to get their Canadian PR confirmed? What was your experience. If you could share a concrete source that would be great as there’s a lot of money riding on this.

Thanks so much in advance for your help.

Raptor33

May 10, 2020
Hello all,

I am an Indian national with a valid COPR and a visa counterfoil in my (Indian) passport.

I will be transiting through Frankfurt , with a stay of 5 hours and in the same terminal. (Terminal 1). As far as I know I don’t think it involves leaving that terminal at all.

I saw a few other threads on this subject but most were regarding PR card holders (ie those who are already permanent residents), threads that were many years old, or gave contradictory replies.

The info on the consulate website mentions that Indian nationals with a valid Canadian visa such as temporary resident visas do not need a transit visa, but I think the single use immigrant visa I have is sort of a grey area. Lufthansa with whom I’ve booked the ticket was of no help whatsoever (which is funny given that they will need to check that I can fly through Germany when I show them my Canadian visa). I’ve also written to the German consulate with no response so far.

Has anyone with an Indian passport transited through Germany recently before their first landing to get their Canadian PR confirmed? What was your experience. If you could share a concrete source that would be great as there’s a lot of money riding on this.

You do not need a transit visa to transit through Germany with a valid Canadian COPR and a visa counterfoil in your Indian passport. This is because you are not considered a visitor to Germany, but rather a transit passenger. As long as you do not leave the transit area of the airport, you will not need a visa.

However, it is important to check with the German Embassy or Consulate in your country of residence to confirm this. They may have additional requirements or restrictions.

Here are some things to keep in mind when transiting through Germany with a valid Canadian COPR and a visa counterfoil in your Indian passport:
  • You must have a valid passport and visa counterfoil.
  • You must have a confirmed onward ticket to Canada.
  • You must have enough money to cover your expenses during your transit.
  • You must be able to pass through immigration and security checks.
If you have any questions or concerns, you should contact the German Embassy or Consulate in your country of residence.

Reactions: Zephyrstraint

vkamath

Nov 30, 2022
Hello all,

You will not need a Visa. You have a Canadian immigrant visa. The transit visa rules state that if you have any EU Visa or a resident permit or Valid visa of UK, Canada, US with Indian passport you do not need a transit visa.

Zephyrstraint

Apr 13, 2021
You do not need a transit visa to transit through Germany with a valid Canadian COPR and a visa counterfoil in your Indian passport. This is because you are not considered a visitor to Germany, but rather a transit passenger. As long as you do not leave the transit area of the airport, you will not need a visa.

However, it is important to check with the German Embassy or Consulate in your country of residence to confirm this. They may have additional requirements or restrictions.

Here are some things to keep in mind when transiting through Germany with a valid Canadian COPR and a visa counterfoil in your Indian passport:
If you have any questions or concerns, you should contact the German Embassy or Consulate in your country of residence.
Thanks for taking the time! I am hoping since I will both land and take off from Terminal 1 that means I wont be leaving the transit area. I tried calling a bunch of the consulates here and they keep redirecting me to the generic info on their website. From what I can tell I do not need a transit visa but I suppose the moment of truth will be when I try to fly.

Thanks again!

Zephyrstraint

Apr 13, 2021
You will not need a Visa. You have a Canadian immigrant visa. The transit visa rules state that if you have any EU Visa or a resident permit or Valid visa of UK, Canada, US with Indian passport you do not need a transit visa.
Thank you for your reply! Have you had this experience recently by any chance?

island755

Dec 24, 2014
Toronto ON

Do not go through German Immigration. You Just have to stay in the transit area. Besides you are already on the airside. Just go the gate of your Canada flight.

Last edited:
Reactions: Zephyrstraint

iSaidGoodDay

VIP Member
Feb 3, 2023
Kaneda
Do not go through German Immigration. You Just have to stay in the transit area. Besides you are already on the airside. All you have to do is going to to the gate of your Canadian flight.
I believe Raptor33 is a bot, writing way too robotic and way too long answers. Feels very unnatural to read those.

Zephyrstraint

Apr 13, 2021
I believe Raptor33 is a bot, writing way too robotic and way too long answers. Feels very unnatural to read those.
Thank you both for your replies. And thanks iSaidGoodDay, my saga with the final PR step continues, with surprise bureaucratic regulations showing up at each step, and now in other countries ;)

I hope we both make it there in one piece and thanks as ever.

Take care!

iSaidGoodDay

VIP Member
Feb 3, 2023
Kaneda
Thank you both for your replies. And thanks iSaidGoodDay, my saga with the final PR step continues, with surprise bureaucratic regulations showing up at each step, and now in other countries ;)

I hope we both make it there in one piece and thanks as ever.

Take care!
I see a lot of people who transit through Frankfurt: https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=india+to+canada+through+frankfurt

(very weird to see that many videos! wtf!)

Also, if you have to change terminals, you don't really have to go through immigration. You can use the shuttle "Skyline" for it.

vkb_1612

Nov 1, 2019
Hello, how did it go for you? I hope you have reached Canada without any issues. I am in the exactly same situation as you and seeking confirmation from you that a transit visa is not required if you have travelled.

Zephyrstraint

Apr 13, 2021
Hello, how did it go for you? I hope you have reached Canada without any issues. I am in the exactly same situation as you and seeking confirmation from you that a transit visa is not required if you have travelled.
Hey there,

I still have about a month to go before my flight unfortunately but I did get confirmation from several sources that as long as you have a valid Canadian visa and do not leave the transit zone, enter the Schengen zone etc. you don't need one. I even called the Frankfurt border police and emailed them, and they confirmed the same. I think there is some kind of rule about staying longer than 12 hours or staying overnight or something of the sort that's still a little unclear, but in my case it will be for about 5 hours. Please double check, this is just my opinion with some sources below:

Here's some of the info VFS was able to send me:

We would like to inform you that if customer holds a valid Canada visa and they are touching a single port in Germany neither leaving the airport’s international transit area nor overnight stays in a hotel, in that case, they do not have to apply for an airport transit visa. However, if you are touching more than one port, have an overnight stay, or are leaving the airport’s international transit area, then you have to apply for a Schengen visa.

You may refer to the German Embassy website https://india.diplo.de/in-en/vertretungen for contact details.

For further information, please feel free to contact us at the following email address:
Info.germanin@vfshelpline.com

The airport transit visa checklist also confirms the same - https://visa.vfsglobal.com/one-pager/germany/india/kolkata/english/pdf/airport-transit.pdf

as does the German Foreign office website: https://www.auswaertiges-amt.de/en/visa-service/buergerservice/faq/33-transit/606710

My plan is to take several printouts of all this info because the only problem I foresee coming up is staff at the Indian airport being unaware of the rules.

When are you flying? Please do post your experience here when you travel so it can help others. Good luck!

AishB

Sep 29, 2020
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
NDVO
AOR Received.
13-02-2021
Passport Req..
30-08-2022
As long as you stay within the transit area and your booking was done through single PNR you don't need a transit visa assuming you are on Indian passport. Changing terminals within the same PNR would also not require a transit visa.
Unless you have a second transit within the schengen area - 2 European city transits, a visa is not required irrespective of PR, study, visitor, first time landing visa.

Reactions: iSaidGoodDay