+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Temporary Work Permit

Sophy

Oct 15, 2011
Hi all,

The story is as follows :

Got refused about 2 years ago with our FSW application (old system) because of IELTS score but mainly because our relatives didn't want to prove our relation :(

Visited Canada last month, and now we are thinking to reapply as Temporary Workers.

Is there any chance to refuse also our TWP application because of our FSW application in the past ? (we have to mention that in the new application forms).

What are our chances to be approved as PR after the 2 years of TWP ?

Can a temporary worker buy a house ?

Thanks all, Sophy

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You have to prove strong ties to your home country and that you will not overstay your visa.

Do you have an employer? This is the main criteria for getting a work permit. The employer must apply for a labour market opinion for you, thereby proving that he has advertised the job but hasn't been able to find qualified Canadians or PR's as well as he is offering market wage. If he gets the LMO, you can apply for your work permit. If one half of a married couple gets a work permit for a skilled position, the other can apply for an open permit.

If the employer sponsors you under PNP, you can get PR that way or you can work for two years on a skilled permit and then apply under CEC. If you qualify on all counts, you will get your PR. It is not a lottery.

A temporary worker can buy a house but you might have a problem getting a mortgage in the beginning as you would have no credit history in Canada. You would also need a higher down payment than a Canadian or a PR, 25% instead of 5.

Sophy

Oct 15, 2011
Thanks Leon,

another question. what happens if my husband gets TWP and i arrive pregnant or get pregnant in Canada ?

thanks again.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Sophy said:
Thanks Leon,

another question. what happens if my husband gets TWP and i arrive pregnant or get pregnant in Canada ?

thanks again.
If he gets a work permit for a skilled position and you get an open work permit based on his permit and come with him, you will probably be covered by health care as well as he is. There were problems in some provinces accepting spouses on open permits (Ontario) but I think they have fixed that. However, if you are planning to arrive pregnant or getting pregnant in Canada and he is going to be the one with the work permit, you should look into if you are going to have coverage on a spouse permit in that province. It is not cheap to have a baby in Canada if you have to pay for it.

Second thing is EI (Employment insurance). If you are able to get a job and work for 600 hours before you go on maternity leave, you can get EI maternity benefits, see http://www.servicecanada.gc.ca/eng/ei/types/maternity_parental.shtml#eligible. You will get 55% of your wages although it is capped at a maximum of $468 per week and you can get that for up to 50 weeks if you take the maternity leave and then the parental leave as well. Your husband can also take some of the parental leave but that means you will take less.

Sophy

Oct 15, 2011
Leon said:
If he gets a work permit for a skilled position and you get an open work permit based on his permit and come with him, you will probably be covered by health care as well as he is. There were problems in some provinces accepting spouses on open permits (Ontario) but I think they have fixed that.
You mean the problems were regarding the health care or to obtain open permit. Because we are planning for Ontario.

many thanks

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Sophy said:
You mean the problems were regarding the health care or to obtain open permit. Because we are planning for Ontario.

many thanks
The problem was with health care. You should research if OHIP will cover an accompanying spouse on an open permit. Also keep in mind that even if they will cover you, OHIP has a 3 month waiting time before you are covered.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Sophy said:
and my last question.

what's the difference between work permit and open work permit ?
A regular work permit (closed work permit) is tied to a specific employer. This means that work permit allows you to work for that one employer and that one employer only. An open work permit is not tied to a specific employer which means you can work for anyone.

Sophy

Oct 15, 2011
scylla said:
A regular work permit (closed work permit) is tied to a specific employer. This means that work permit allows you to work for that one employer and that one employer only. An open work permit is not tied to a specific employer which means you can work for anyone.
Thanks Scylla.

TrishRamos

Jul 8, 2013
hello, i also have the same dilemna as this have been reading in this foum for the past couple of days already and i haven't read as almost same situation as ours. my husband got a job offer under the skilled position and spouse can apply for open work permit and now pregnant. I read to your post that your husband applied for twp as well and you also asked what if you got pregnant someone answered and talking about the health care... however, can you give us update what happened and the status of your application as we wanted to be in canada together We don't want someone will be left behind. are you guys now in canada? i understand this was an old post but this one is the only post which i can totally relate to cus i've been asking such question no one bothers replying back. please advise. thank you.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
TrishRamos said:
hello, i also have the same dilemna as this have been reading in this foum for the past couple of days already and i haven't read as almost same situation as ours. my husband got a job offer under the skilled position and spouse can apply for open work permit and now pregnant. I read to your post that your husband applied for twp as well and you also asked what if you got pregnant someone answered and talking about the health care... however, can you give us update what happened and the status of your application as we wanted to be in canada together We don't want someone will be left behind. are you guys now in canada? i understand this was an old post but this one is the only post which i can totally relate to cus i've been asking such question no one bothers replying back. please advise. thank you.
So if you are eligible to apply for an open permit, what's holding you back?

artcruzlll

Jul 24, 2013
Good day,

i was advised by the agency last June 6, 2013 that my visa application was already granted by Service Canada thru email from my employer, but until now there is no official updates from canadian embassy here in the Philippines....i would like to ask if this on going PAFSO strike...affects the processing of my temporary working permit?

Hoping for kind consideration and look forward to hear from you...

Thanks,
Art