+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal sponsorship

mannpunia

Apr 25, 2024
is your spouse outland and I suppose the medical is from previous (your) application? Unless your spouse is in Canada, there is no way this that they will grant COPR and, if required, a visa since the the applicant must land within the validity of COPR which is tied to medical.
It was an outland application but He is in canada now on visitor visa for past one month

sonusweetie

Star Member
Apr 1, 2021
Nothing needs to be done until they ask for it.
AOR is indeed needed for SOWP however why wasting money if PA already has a WP? Unless it's expiring or you intentionally want to change it to SOWP there is no reason to apply for it.
SOWP is not a visa and do not replace one. SOWP doesn't allow reentry into Canada. So if PA intends to travel and has no valid visa, SOWP or CWP alone won't help. PA must apply for TRV from within the Canada.
Thanks for your response. We don't really care about moving PA from Closed WP to SOWP unless it provides any leverage similar to PR (sounds like it does not). PA is not looking to change jobs immediately either .. from what we've understood, SOWP would be useful for changing jobs, or if the PR approval takes longer than the closed WP validity (highly unlikely as current WP ends in 2025 end), OR if the SOWP allows them to have a side gig.

ERCAN

Jan 25, 2023
It was an outland application but He is in canada now on visitor visa for past one month
You may try to request medical extension based on the public policy https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/medical-police/medical-exams.html. It is valid until October 6, 2024. So if he will not leave Canada, change his address to the Canadian one (inform IRCC via webform) then when medical request comes try to request medical extension based on this public policy provided it will happen before October. They may grant him an extension (they did in my wife's case).

ERCAN

Jan 25, 2023
Thanks for your response. We don't really care about moving PA from Closed WP to SOWP unless it provides any leverage similar to PR (sounds like it does not). PA is not looking to change jobs immediately either .. from what we've understood, SOWP would be useful for changing jobs, or if the PR approval takes longer than the closed WP validity (highly unlikely as current WP ends in 2025 end), OR if the SOWP allows them to have a side gig.
Your right regarding the benefits. It doesn't offer anything except being a bit more flexible. So keep in mind the cost of the SOWP and potential gains. If later prevails, then go for it. Otherwise, I doubt it's worth it.

Reactions: sonusweetie

mary_27

Sep 20, 2015
I assume your father was included as a non-accompanying dependent in your mother's parent sponsorship application. If so and he took the medical and provided PCCs, then your mother can certainly sponsor him now.
Thank you for your reply. But wouldn't she be required to have a certain level of income in Canada to sponsor my father?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thank you for your reply. But wouldn't she be required to have a certain level of income in Canada to sponsor my father?
No. She just can't be on social assistance. See the IRCC web site for the details.

mary_27

Sep 20, 2015
No. She just can't be on social assistance. See the IRCC web site for the details.
Thanks for your reply. I see on the IRCC website that they mention the following: "you can provide for the basic needs of any persons you want to sponsor". How would one prove that? if it's in a form of a bank statement of a saving account, what would the limit be you think?

mamadshah

May 7, 2024
Hi, I'm new here.

I am sponsoring my wife who is out of Canada. I'm a Canadian citizen. I applied in December and my application status is still in progress. Last update was on March 22nd. They haven't asked to get biometrics, they haven't asked for anything. I was approved for eligibility on December 24 and since then no progress has been made on my application I don't know what to do. I applied for a visitor visa for my wife and she got her biometrics done but the application was was denied. Any help would be appreciated.

kabalyero

May 8, 2024
Hi Everyone,

We applied Spousal Outland sponsorship. My wife's application forms were filed with her new last name (my last name) and this reflects her other documents like passport and everything else. In one of the forms, we input her old UCI number from an old TRV application (this application has her old last name before marriage). Our application is in process and we already got our AOR but I had a hard time linking our application to the GCkey. Then I tried her old last name to link and it worked. Her application is tied to the account with her old last name. Will this be a problem in the future?

mannpunia

Apr 25, 2024
You may try to request medical extension based on the public policy https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/medical-police/medical-exams.html. It is valid until October 6, 2024. So if he will not leave Canada, change his address to the Canadian one (inform IRCC via webform) then when medical request comes try to request medical extension based on this public policy provided it will happen before October. They may grant him an extension (they did in my wife's case).
Thank you so much for your help

Nura24

May 8, 2024
Hi everyone,

I'm doing my best to fill out all the forms to sponsor my wife who lives with me in Canada and her 2 dependant children that live in another country. I'm a bit confused when it comes to minimum income. I read that there's no minimum income when you sponsor your spouse but does it apply when there are 2 dependant children. I also have 2 dependant children of my own living in Canada with me. If dependant children do apply to minimum income do i include mine in the income calculation. I know i can't have a cosigner for my spouse but if she has dependant children plus mine can my mother cosign? Thanks for your help!

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Hi everyone,

I'm doing my best to fill out all the forms to sponsor my wife who lives with me in Canada and her 2 dependant children that live in another country. I'm a bit confused when it comes to minimum income. I read that there's no minimum income when you sponsor your spouse but does it apply when there are 2 dependant children. I also have 2 dependant children of my own living in Canada with me. If dependant children do apply to minimum income do i include mine in the income calculation. I know i can't have a cosigner for my spouse but if she has dependant children plus mine can my mother cosign? Thanks for your help!
There's no minimum income. They may expect you to show in some way how you can support them.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Ok thank you! If 60K/ year is not enough do you think my mother can cosign?
I'd suggest reading the instructions. But while that's not a lot depending on market, would likely not come up as an issue preventing sponsorship.

Note, if your spouse plans to work (and esp if anything more cncrete) you can refer to her work earnings.