+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

School Admission process - Edmonton Alberta

legaltrr

Star Member
Jan 18, 2023
hi, I will be moving to Alberta, Edmonton in 2 months.

Can anyone guide me how does the school admission works?

i have searched online about residency area and contacting hte school etc, i wanted to check how does the grade of the kids get decided. My kids are currently in Year 10 (British curricullam). How to they check the equivalency and do the grades in current school matter?

Regards,

Mohit Ahuja

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
hi, I will be moving to Alberta, Edmonton in 2 months.

Can anyone guide me how does the school admission works?

i have searched online about residency area and contacting hte school etc, i wanted to check how does the grade of the kids get decided. My kids are currently in Year 10 (British curricullam). How to they check the equivalency and do the grades in current school matter?

Regards,

Mohit Ahuja
What is your status? Contact school board & ask. They will tell you about grades bust most likely the same.

legaltrr

Star Member
Jan 18, 2023
What is your status? Contact school board & ask. They will tell you about grades bust most likely the same.
I am a PR. I have contacted them, but didnt get a proper answer on the grades, i was only told about the documentation etc. When i asked about grades i got the below answer

. A student in grade 10 is able to take a grade 11 or grade 12 course, just as a grade 11 student can take grade 10 or 12 courses. Course selection is dependent on prerequisite courses, and not grade level or age of the student

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
I am a PR. I have contacted them, but didnt get a proper answer on the grades, i was only told about the documentation etc. When i asked about grades i got the below answer
Right. Because in Canada if you have Grace 10 math, you can take Grade 11. Depends on courses because some kids may take Grade 10 and 11 maths in their Grade 10 year and in Grade 11 cand take Grade 12 maths. So depends on what your child has completed for grade 10 courses which determines registration for grade 11.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Are your children PRs? In general the school board will determine what grade your children should attend. Once you have determined where you will be permanently living then you can approach the school that serves your catchment area. You will need to decide whether you want your children to attend Catholic or secular school and whether they want to do English or French immersion. When you approach the school and school board that fits your selection then they will help you with the rest of the registration process including proper grade. What grade a child attends usually is a mixture of age and curriculum of previous school.

Reactions: Naturgrl