+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Questions about travelling, living in Canada

itstime

Jul 8, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
vyasparth1993 said:
every question mentioned is important.what if the hard drive doesn't have adult materials but does have pirated movies, normal movies but pirated ? i downloaded a lot of movies just to pass time on the flight and canada also. do they check laptop's content?
They can and if they do they will look for pirated software/movies/music.

mead

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-11-2012
Doc's Request.
28-11-2012
IELTS Request
n/a
Med's Request
n/a
Med's Done....
n/a
VISA ISSUED...
6-12-2012
vyasparth1993 said:
every question mentioned is important.what if the hard drive doesn't have adult materials but does have pirated movies, normal movies but pirated ? i downloaded a lot of movies just to pass time on the flight and canada also. do they check laptop's content?
very rarely to none will they check ur content on the laptop......when boarding the plane if in checked in luggage or in carry on luggage they wont turn ur laptop on....ur minimal risk is when u are in canada and if u r pulled aside by customs and they check ur stuff and check for pirated stuff specifically then ur in trouble....but normally they dont even pull u aside for customs check and if they do they r more interested in food products .......thats been my experience...everytime i was pulled over by customs both in canada and US i was asked about food products.

itstime

Jul 8, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
mead said:
very rarely to none will they check ur content on the laptop......when boarding the plane if in checked in luggage or in carry on luggage they wont turn ur laptop on....ur minimal risk is when u are in canada and if u r pulled aside by customs and they check ur stuff and check for pirated stuff specifically then ur in trouble....but normally they dont even pull u aside for customs check and if they do they r more interested in food products .......thats been my experience...everytime i was pulled over by customs both in canada and US i was asked about food products.
It is rare but it does happen. I have had to prove that I can turn it on but they have never checked content. However, I know others who have had their laptops taken away at customs and sent back to them at a later stage, if nothing illegal is found. Or confiscated completely if it has an encrypted partition and the owner isn't opening it up to be viewed.

Besides (and that's a whole different discussion and not for this board at all) why download illegally anyway?

Nahush

Star Member
Mar 28, 2013
Mumbai
Visa Office......
Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13-06-2013
IELTS Request
Med's Done....
Ages ago
VISA ISSUED...
19-07-2013
I guess I will have to empty my HDD before going then.
itstime- As an Indian I would always prefer free stuff. btw do you buy all your music too?

Thanks to all of you for taking time and answering my questions ;D

itstime

Jul 8, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nahush said:
I guess I will have to empty my HDD before going then.
itstime- As an Indian I would always prefer free stuff. btw do you buy all your music too?
I work in the industry and as such, people paying for film and music is helping me (and everyone else in the industry) have a job. SO unless it is given to me by the record company or the film company, yes I buy it. There is also spotify (for music) and netflix (for film and TV) you can subscribe to and legally listen/watch as much as you want. I LOVE Netflix.

Nahush

Star Member
Mar 28, 2013
Mumbai
Visa Office......
Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13-06-2013
IELTS Request
Med's Done....
Ages ago
VISA ISSUED...
19-07-2013
itstime said:
I work in the industry and as such, people paying for film and music is helping me (and everyone else in the industry) have a job. SO unless it is given to me by the record company or the film company, yes I buy it. There is also spotify (for music) and netflix (for film and TV) you can subscribe to and legally listen/watch as much as you want. I LOVE Netflix.
Cool!
As soon as I start earning my own money ill start paying for my songs, until then Keep Seeding :D :p
shradzsaraf - Hey, are you frm Pune? I guess you have done your under-grad frm USA? Why the change in country for masters? and since you currently stay in USA, what do you think of me buying a new iPhone under contract in Canada vs me buying it here in India?

I also dont understand how this mobile under contract works, since in India we dont have the contract system for mobiles. Plz explain how it works...

mead

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-11-2012
Doc's Request.
28-11-2012
IELTS Request
n/a
Med's Request
n/a
Med's Done....
n/a
VISA ISSUED...
6-12-2012
Nahush said:
Cool!
As soon as I start earning my own money ill start paying for my songs, until then Keep Seeding :D :p
shradzsaraf - Hey, are you frm Pune? I guess you have done your under-grad frm USA? Why the change in country for masters? and since you currently stay in USA, what do you think of me buying a new iPhone under contract in Canada vs me buying it here in India?

I also dont understand how this mobile under contract works, since in India we dont have the contract system for mobiles. Plz explain how it works...
what is the cost of iphone in india converted in CAD? check that with canadian cost....u can compare with different carriers like fido etc following link gives an idea of the plan and cost of iphone with bell
http://www.bell.ca/Mobility/Build_your_mobile_solution

shradzsaraf

Jun 29, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Los Angeles
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
VISA ISSUED...
22-08-2013
LANDED..........
05-09-2013
Nahush said:
Cool!

Hi nahush.

I am from new delhi. I have done my under-grad from India and also my masters from India. I am living in USA on dependent visa with my husband.
Ok you have various plans here that you can buy with iphone. If you take iphone 5 with a three year contract in Canada, you pay 100 dollars for the phone and monthly 60,70,80, 90 or 100 dollars depending on your plan. You cannot cancel your plan midway or you will have to pay 1000 dollars fine. USA is much cheaper than Canada though. Here the plans are cheaper.

itstime

Jul 8, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
More information on laptop/smartphone searches here:

https://www.priv.gc.ca/resource/fs-fi/02_05_d_45_e.asp