Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13-06-2013
IELTS Request
Med's Done....
Ages ago
VISA ISSUED...
19-07-2013
Hello, guyz! Plz help me in answering the following questions that popped up in my teenage mind. Some of them might be dumb and annoying but had to ask them anyways, out of curiosity and excitement.

• Is there a risk of loosing our luggage during the change in flights?
  • Am I allowed to bring my external hard disk with me which has a huge collection of pirated movies and other teenage stuff ;) on the plane. I love all my collection and i dont want to leave it in India
  • Is travelling with shampoos, conditioners etc allowed on the plane
  • Do they launch bollywood movies in Kamloops(its not a very big city i think).Just want to see SRK movies, dont care about the rest.
  • How are the mobile carrier costs and plans in Canada? I am thinking of buying the new iPhone5s when it launches in Canada, since it would be cheaper thr and the monthly plan would also be better(untill then ill use an old nokia)....share your opinions.
  • Will there be FREE Wi-fii available in the unis, so tht i can facetime/skype with family?
  • Can I travel to USA on my Canada student permit during vacations?
  • Will i get to stay-back in Canada after my degree for work? If yes, then for how many years?I want to Vasool all my education fees. I am doing a 4yr degree and have got only 4yr of permit on my passport.
  • On Campus housing vs Homestay(with a Canadian family) vs renting room with friends
  • Is there something that most students forget to bring or should do while coming to Canada?
  • Are there many Mosquitoes/house lizards etc found there?
  • My mom wants me to travel with some home cooked stuff, is it allowed on the plane?

Please feel free to add your own questions below.

dreameasy218

Star Member
May 25, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nahush said:
Hello, guyz! Plz help me in answering the following questions that popped up in my teenage mind. Some of them might be dumb and annoying questions but had to ask them anyways, out of curiosity and exitement.

• Am I allowed to bring my external hard disk with me which has a huge collection of pirated movies and other teenage stuff ;) on the plane. I love all my collection and i dont want to leave it in India
  • Do they launch bollywood movies in Kamloops(its not a very big city i think).Just want to see SRK once, dont care about the rest.
  • How are the mobile carrier costs and plans in Canada? I am thinking of buying the new iPhone5s when it launches in Canada, since it would be cheaper thr and the monthly plan would also be better(untill then ill use an old nokia)....share your opinions.
  • Will there be FREE Wi-fii available in the unis, so tht i can facetime/skype with family?
  • Will i get to stay-back in Canada after my degree for work? If yes, then for how many years?I want to Vasool all my education fees. I am doing a 4yr degree and have got only 4yr of permit on my passport.
  • On Campus housing vs Homestay(with a Canadian family) vs renting room with friends
  • Is there something that most students forget to bring or should do while coming to Canada?
  • My mom wants me to travel with some home cooked stuff, is it allowed on the plane?

I have no definite answers to all your questions,below reponses are based on whatever i know...

- Until and unless you are careful about not loosing your luggage at the airport, its is safe hands as the luggage is scanned and given back to passengers through automated systems.

- You can travel with your toiletries (shampoos,conditioners) unless they contain something which is prohibited.

- Also can travel with home made food - no issues with that.. :)

Over to the senior folks to answer the remaining questions.

Cheers

Dua mein yaad rakhna

navkaur

Jul 9, 2011
Category........
CEC
App. Filed.......
25-04-2017
Med's Request
Pre-medical
Med's Done....
15-03-2017
VISA ISSUED...
10-11-2017
You are allowed to carry shampoos or other liquid provided they aren't over 100ml in each... even duos or perfumes are included in liquids.

Yes you can carry external hdd. I carried it in visitor visa.

mead

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-11-2012
Doc's Request.
28-11-2012
IELTS Request
n/a
Med's Request
n/a
Med's Done....
n/a
VISA ISSUED...
6-12-2012
Is there a risk of loosing our luggage during the change in flights?
little to no risk ...normally ur luggage is sent directly from where u take the first flight till ur destination in canada.
Am I allowed to bring my external hard disk with me which has a huge collection of pirated movies and other teenage stuff Wink on the plane. I love all my collection and i dont want to leave it in India
if u want to carry it with u in ur carryon luggage u have to take it out of ur bag and put it in through the scanner separately like the lap top. if it is in ur checked in luggage then no worries unless u have something illegal(pirated stuff may not be a problem)..illegal meaning stuff like child *censored word*ography etc
Is travelling with shampoos, conditioners etc allowed on the plane
no liquids are allowed in carryon luggage . well liquids up to 100ml r allowed but why get into trouble over a shampoo which u can keep in ur checked in luggage
Do they launch bollywood movies in Kamloops(its not a very big city i think).Just want to see SRK once, dont care about the rest.
How are the mobile carrier costs and plans in Canada? I am thinking of buying the new iPhone5s when it launches in Canada, since it would be cheaper thr and the monthly plan would also be better(untill then ill use an old nokia)....share your opinions.
mibile carriers go from $20 per month plan to $100 depending on what u take ..
Will there be FREE Wi-fii available in the unis, so tht i can facetime/skype with family?
most universities have free wifi but u need log in and password also u need to be in university to assess their wifi
Can I travel to USA on my Canada student permit during vacations?
No u need US visitors visa
Will i get to stay-back in Canada after my degree for work? If yes, then for how many years?I want to Vasool all my education fees. I am doing a 4yr degree and have got only 4yr of permit on my passport.
u need to check if ur university is in the approved list but u may be able to get PGWP not sure u need to search for more information depending on ur course and university
On Campus housing vs Homestay(with a Canadian family) vs renting room with friends
most prefer off campus housing renting with friends as it is cheaper
Is there something that most students forget to bring or should do while coming to Canada?
u should bring all the things u will need. e.g. if u cook then bring cooking utensils .
Are there many Mosquitoes/house lizards etc found there?
lol haha no mosquitoes or lizards unless u go camping
My mom wants me to travel with some home cooked stuff, is it allowed on the plane?
if it is not liquid u should be ok.....but u never know.....

itstime

Jul 8, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
navkaur said:
You are allowed to carry shampoos or other liquid provided they aren't over 100ml in each... even duos or perfumes are included in liquids.

Yes you can carry external hdd. I carried it in visitor visa.
A bottle can be max 100ml and all has to be in a clear seethrough resealable plastic bag that can hold max 1 ltr. Only one such bag per person in the carry on.

You can have big size regular shampoo bottles in your checked in bag,

As to losing your luggage - shit happens and it happens every day. There are millions of bags being moved every day. Bags will get lost and bags will be found... eventually.

You can bring your hard drive if you want to but don't change planes in USA. US immigration officers are entitled to check the content of your hard drive and what they look for IS pirated material. This (according to rumor) is starting to spread to other countries too. If they check your drive you stand a chance to get in to HUGE problems. Want to risk that? Seriously?

Check with CBSA what you are allowed to bring in regards to food items.

The iphone 5s is still only a rumor. Canada is one the most (if not the most) expensive countries in the world when it comes to cellphone usage.

Your university website should have a list of what kind of amenities they have available (free wifi, free gym etc). I presume it varies from school to school.

As for homecooked stuff - see above about bringing liquids on to the plane. Also, check with the airline you are flying with,

As for travelling to US. Check the US immigration. It's up to them if you are allowed in, not Canada. Two different countries.

itstime

Jul 8, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
mead said:
if u want to carry it with u in ur carryon luggage u have to take it out of ur bag and put it in through the scanner separately like the lap top. if it is in ur checked in luggage then no worries unless u have something illegal(pirated stuff may not be a problem)..illegal meaning stuff like child *censored word*ography etc
Don't ever, never ever never ever, put anything valuable such as harddrive, laptop, camera, jewelry in your checked in luggage. Read the fine print on the airline website. They will NEVER cpver any lost items of value from your luggage. It doesn't matter if you lock your bag. As soon as you check it in you have given customs officers the permission to open and check your bag if they suspect it has illegal content or just for a random check. If your bag is locked - they WILL break the lock. If breaking the lock means they have to break the bag, so be it. In the 30 years of travel I have done I have never locked a bag, never packed anything valuable and never lost anything from my bag, despite it being checked by customs after it was checked in.

mead

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-11-2012
Doc's Request.
28-11-2012
IELTS Request
n/a
Med's Request
n/a
Med's Done....
n/a
VISA ISSUED...
6-12-2012
itstime said:
Don't ever, never ever never ever, put anything valuable such as harddrive, laptop, camera, jewelry in your checked in luggage. Read the fine print on the airline website. They will NEVER cpver any lost items of value from your luggage. It doesn't matter if you lock your bag. As soon as you check it in you have given customs officers the permission to open and check your bag if they suspect it has illegal content or just for a random check. If your bag is locked - they WILL break the lock. If breaking the lock means they have to break the bag, so be it. In the 30 years of travel I have done I have never locked a bag, never packed anything valuable and never lost anything from my bag, despite it being checked by customs after it was checked in.
for me i never had any problem with checked in bag ...i never carry a lot of stuff in my carry on as it is a hassle for me during transfers . Yes i never lock bags either My bags have been opened and I have found note in there about they checking my bag ....never lost anything yet but that is luck. yes it is a good idea to take important stuff with u on carry on luggage atleast if ur not used to air travel.

itstime

Jul 8, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
mead said:
for me i never had any problem with checked in bag ...i never carry a lot of stuff in my carry on as it is a hassle for me during transfers . Yes i never lock bags either My bags have been opened and I have found note in there about they checking my bag ....never lost anything yet but that is luck. yes it is a good idea to take important stuff with u on carry on luggage atleast if ur not used to air travel.
I don't know how many people I've talked to who are so upset with <insert airline> because the airline is not covering the cost of the laptop that was stolen from their checked in luggage and/or the broken bag because they had to break the bag to get in to it. Laptop, camera, ipad or any other valuable piece of electronics/jewelry, goes in my carry-on. I can always buy shampoo and conditioner at the destination.

mead

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-11-2012
Doc's Request.
28-11-2012
IELTS Request
n/a
Med's Request
n/a
Med's Done....
n/a
VISA ISSUED...
6-12-2012
itstime said:
I don't know how many people I've talked to who are so upset with <insert airline> because the airline is not covering the cost of the laptop that was stolen from their checked in luggage and/or the broken bag because they had to break the bag to get in to it. Laptop, camera, ipad or any other valuable piece of electronics/jewelry, goes in my carry-on. I can always buy shampoo and conditioner at the destination.
ye but for me it was not always possible to carry all electronics with me in carry on ....so must be luck but i trust checked in bags i never lock bag no use.....i even have carried flat screen tv's and a whole lot of electronics as gifts with no problem..only problem is at indian customs lol....when i am going to india.....they so desperate for dollars lol....

shradzsaraf

Jun 29, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Los Angeles
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
VISA ISSUED...
22-08-2013
LANDED..........
05-09-2013
Nahush- To answer your one unanswered question. I dont think they launch bollywood movies in such a small town. But you always have the internet. You can watch all movies online.

chaitnay7777

Star Member
Nov 2, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
valuable post-------------theses questions are just small things but will create big problemzz if we dont have the correct knowledge...

ronymorol

Star Member
Mar 17, 2013
Calgary
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
CHC SINGAPORE
App. Filed.......
17-03-2013
IELTS Request
File Transfer...
20-03-2013
Med's Request
20-06-2013
Med's Done....
22-06-2013
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
23-06-2013
VISA ISSUED...
29-06-13
LANDED..........
23-08-13
Nahush said:
Hello, guyz! Plz help me in answering the following questions that popped up in my teenage mind. Some of them might be dumb and annoying questions but had to ask them anyways, out of curiosity and exitement.

i think its quit 90% safe

no problem at all
yes allowed but you have to put it in your carry bag not hand bag .
  • Do they launch bollywood movies in Kamloops(its not a very big city i think).Just want to see SRK movies, dont care about the rest.
my friends say no .but you can download it from net :p :p
if you use iphone 5 it will cost 80$ month .your old phone might not work in canada for its frequancy.
TRU has wifi network
need visitor visa
dude on campus housing is costly .so i suggest you to rent with your friends as i do ;) ;)
if you have driving lisence bring it with you.you can drive there. :p :p
lol no
yes no prblm

navkaur

Jul 9, 2011
Category........
CEC
App. Filed.......
25-04-2017
Med's Request
Pre-medical
Med's Done....
15-03-2017
VISA ISSUED...
10-11-2017
I carried my external hdd when going US and CANADA, lucky me I wasnt asked any thing. But its case to case so can't say about others.

vyasparth1993

Jul 9, 2013
ahmedabad,gujarat,India
Category........
Visa Office......
delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12th july,2013
IELTS Request
Med's Done....
28th june,2013
VISA ISSUED...
pending
LANDED..........
pending
every question mentioned is important.what if the hard drive doesn't have adult materials but does have pirated movies, normal movies but pirated ? i downloaded a lot of movies just to pass time on the flight and canada also. do they check laptop's content?