+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PROTECTED PERSONS FAMILY APPLYING FOR PR (IN CANADA)

Anonymous2024

Feb 4, 2024
We got the protected persons status (all family members and I was the principal refugee claimant, Now, my queston is - is it possible for ONLY my spouse (who is not the principal refugee claimant) and our kids to apply for PR and I DO NOT apply now along with them (I intend to apply maybe a few years later, once they get their PR status). Is it possible to do this? OR is it compulsary that all family members should apply for PR at the same time.

I am aware that if my spouse applies for PR along with the kids, she will enter my details too in the form...etc. and that's OK. But I wont be one of the PR applicant as such in that application. Pls advice, greatly appreciated. Thanks!

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
We got the protected persons status (all family members and I was the principal refugee claimant, Now, my queston is - is it possible for ONLY my spouse (who is not the principal refugee claimant) and our kids to apply for PR and I DO NOT apply now along with them (I intend to apply maybe a few years later, once they get their PR status). Is it possible to do this? OR is it compulsary that all family members should apply for PR at the same time.

I am aware that if my spouse applies for PR along with the kids, she will enter my details too in the form...etc. and that's OK. But I wont be one of the PR applicant as such in that application. Pls advice, greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Is there a reason you are trying to do this? It doesn’t make sense unless you are planning on returning to your home country. You returning to your home country to raise concerns that your family did not need asylum in the first place. If it is found that the basis of your claims were not true then your family’s status in Canada could be withdrawn even if they are already Canadian citizens.

HumanityFirst786

Star Member
Nov 3, 2023
Is there a reason you are trying to do this? It doesn’t make sense unless you are planning on returning to your home country. You returning to your home country to raise concerns that your family did not need asylum in the first place. If it is found that the basis of your claims were not true then your family’s status in Canada could be withdrawn even if they are already Canadian citizens.
If you become Canadian Citizen, then you can travel to your home country due to serious reasons on Canadian Passport. I know most of the people who go to their home country on Canadian citizenship and even on PR, they don't get caught.

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
If you become Canadian Citizen, then you can travel to your home country due to serious reasons on Canadian Passport. I know most of the people who go to their home country on Canadian citizenship and even on PR, they don't get caught.
Doesn’t mean they can # one , and # two everyone with a heartbeat knows many claim asylum with false information. Thanks for the confirmation.
Canada, the country that keeps on giving

Reactions: itzdrmac

HumanityFirst786

Star Member
Nov 3, 2023
Doesn’t mean they can # one , and # two everyone with a heartbeat knows many claim asylum with false information. Thanks for the confirmation.
Canada, the country that keeps on giving
You can go to your former home country because it is not your home country anymore technically after Canadian citizenship living here for years and paying taxes Canada is your home country and on Canadian passport you can go and argue with the officer, but at PR it does not mean Canada is your home country and hence you will be deported. I think you should respect Canadian laws, and wait till Canadian Passport.

Anonymous2024

Feb 4, 2024
Canuck78 with his/her response ended up taking my question in a totally different direction. PLEASE READ MY ORIGINAL QUESTION AGAIN.

All I wanted to know was can the family split up in applying for PR. It is our personal reason to do this - it doesnt mean we are false claimants. Please STOP stereotyping here. You dont know what hell we have been through that made us flee to Canada.

Why are you speculating that I am going to my home country? Who gave you the confirmation that my BOC is false? PLEASE STOP misleading in these forums. IAM NOT GOING TO MY HOME COUNTRY.

JUST ANSWER THE QUESTION. AND IF YOU CAN'T, THEN STAY QUIET.

Rest of you - Can I please request the other learned people, who come ccross this question, to kindly help me with the answer to my original question. Thanks!

HumanityFirst786

Star Member
Nov 3, 2023

Obviously, your family can apply first and you can apply for PR later whenever you want. It takes 26 months to get PR after you apply as protected person. If you want to delay for PR it is your choice. Some disadvantages as protected person without PR : You have to keep on renewing the work permit, SIN number, study permit which can cost you several months. When buying a house it would cost you minimum 20 percent down payment for house with high mortgage interest rate. Each day will be counted as half before PR for citizenship. You will be issued a 2 year (RTD) travel document.

Anonymous2024

Feb 4, 2024
Obviously, your family can apply first and you can apply for PR later whenever you want. It takes 26 months to get PR after you apply as protected person. If you want to delay for PR it is your choice. Some disadvantages as protected person without PR : You have to keep on renewing the work permit, SIN number, study permit which can cost you several months. When buying a house it would cost you minimum 20 percent down payment for house with high mortgage interest rate. Each day will be counted as half before PR for citizenship. You will be issued a 2 year (RTD) travel document.
Thnks for your response!

sherryl89

Star Member
Dec 4, 2018
I think you missed the point. Once you get your citizenship. You aren’t under any rule that says u can not travel to ur home country. Canada stands ready to assist you even if matters go south in ur home country. Just be a citizen and nothing is in ur way. U can go anywhere and even to ur home country. I only wonder where u guys get or scoop wrong info. I have seen this and lived this. Wtf

Reactions: ref19to22

ref19to22

May 18, 2022

CORRECTED

if the whole family was granted protected person status then you can apply for PR separately.

IGNORE

my understanding of the process is that as the principal applicant, you need to apply for PR in order for your family's PR application to be processed.

good luck!

Last edited:

HumanityFirst786

Star Member
Nov 3, 2023
my understanding of the process is that as the principal applicant, you need to apply for PR in order for your family's PR application to be processed.
**please correct me if I am wrong**
good luck!
No his wife can be principal applicant whether she earns or not and children will be dependants. He can apply PR later as principal applicant of another PR application . I don't recommend applying late for PR as it can take 2 years. But it is his choice.

HumanityFirst786

Star Member
Nov 3, 2023
I think you missed the point. Once you get your citizenship. You aren’t under any rule that says u can not travel to ur home country. Canada stands ready to assist you even if matters go south in ur home country. Just be a citizen and nothing is in ur way. U can go anywhere and even to ur home country. I only wonder where u guys get or scoop wrong info. I have seen this and lived this. Wtf
You should ask this question, when judge asks you for any questions upon your Protected person hearing. I know you won't because it will look like you did this claim to get passport in Canada through easy way. My point is you claim your life is in danger and after passport you are no longer in danger.

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
You should ask this question, when judge asks you for any questions upon your Protected person hearing. I know you won't because it will look like you did this claim to get passport in Canada through easy way. My point is you claim your life is in danger and after passport you are no longer in danger.
Change in Country's Circumstance can necessitate someone to travel to country of origin. But bottom line, there's no law restricting travel after losing your protected status...

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021

Yes you can apply anytime you want, since you are protected person appearing on NOD

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
The answer to poster's question is yes, he can choose to apply later