+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Procedural fairness letter

peteroadams

May 10, 2024
I received a disturbing procedural fairness letter.

My sponsor , who is now a Canadian PR, previously was in a common law relationship with another person but they separated and got in a common law relationship with me.
Kindly advise how to respond. The letter is posted here with names redacted.

We are now completing the assessment of your application for a permanent resident visa under the Family Class. It appears that you may not meet the requirements of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act and Regulations.

According to Section 12(1) of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act a foreign national may be selected as a member of the family class on the basis of their relationship as the spouse, common-law partner, child, parent or other prescribed family member of a Canadian citizen or permanent resident.

Section 117(1) of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations, 2002 defines who is a member of the family class. A foreign national is a member of the family class if, with respect to a sponsor, the foreign national is

(a) the sponsor’s spouse, common-law partner or conjugal partner;

You have applied under the Common-law partner category. Pursuant to subsection 1(1) of the regulations, a common-law partner means, in relation to a person, an individual who is cohabiting with the person in a conjugal relationship, having so cohabited for a period of at least one year

Based on a review of the information you submitted, [sponsor’s name] claimed to have been in a relationship with another person during the same timeframe in which you and your sponsor claim to have been in a relationship. Your sponsor has declared previously that she was married to [former sponsor’s common law partner] from March 20th, 2016 and claims to have separated from him sometime in November 2018. This period overlaps with the period you claim to have been in a relationship with your sponsor.

Also, considering you claim to have been in a relationship for one year and 1 month at the time your sponsor departed to Canada, it is not clear the reason for you not being included in her application at the time. Please provide detailed explanations as for your reasons for not leaving your home country with [sponsor’s name] in March 2019.

And finally, please note that in order for a couple to be considered in a common-law relationship, they must able to demonstrate that they have cohabitated for at least one continuous year. Usually, this period must be immediately prior to the application for the immigration visa. In your case, your cohabitation was 5 years ago, with no other periods of cohabitation.

This is your only opportunity to provide explanations of the reasons why you have not cohabitated in the past 5 years nor applied for the visa sooner.

Before rendering a final decision on your application, we are providing you with an opportunity to respond to these concerns and bring forward any information you wish to be considered. You have 30 days from the receipt of this letter to make any representations in this regard. Please send all submissions by IRCC Webform and clearly indicate your file number. Failure to respond to this letter may result in a refusal of your application.

Amiah_world

Star Member
Nov 17, 2023
This is not disturbing one bit lol, I’ve received worst. You now need to respond to that letter with the best of your ability and be as honest as you can be. Check with a immigration lawyer and see how best you can respond or if you and your spouse can do it by yourselves respond but make sure to submit detailed explanations and don’t miss anything you think might help your case.

Reactions: YVR123

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I received a disturbing procedural fairness letter.

My sponsor , who is now a Canadian PR, previously was in a common law relationship with another person but they separated and got in a common law relationship with me.
Kindly advise how to respond. The letter is posted here with names redacted.

We are now completing the assessment of your application for a permanent resident visa under the Family Class. It appears that you may not meet the requirements of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act and Regulations.

According to Section 12(1) of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act a foreign national may be selected as a member of the family class on the basis of their relationship as the spouse, common-law partner, child, parent or other prescribed family member of a Canadian citizen or permanent resident.

Section 117(1) of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations, 2002 defines who is a member of the family class. A foreign national is a member of the family class if, with respect to a sponsor, the foreign national is

(a) the sponsor’s spouse, common-law partner or conjugal partner;

You have applied under the Common-law partner category. Pursuant to subsection 1(1) of the regulations, a common-law partner means, in relation to a person, an individual who is cohabiting with the person in a conjugal relationship, having so cohabited for a period of at least one year

Based on a review of the information you submitted, [sponsor’s name] claimed to have been in a relationship with another person during the same timeframe in which you and your sponsor claim to have been in a relationship. Your sponsor has declared previously that she was married to [former sponsor’s common law partner] from March 20th, 2016 and claims to have separated from him sometime in November 2018. This period overlaps with the period you claim to have been in a relationship with your sponsor.

Also, considering you claim to have been in a relationship for one year and 1 month at the time your sponsor departed to Canada, it is not clear the reason for you not being included in her application at the time. Please provide detailed explanations as for your reasons for not leaving your home country with [sponsor’s name] in March 2019.

And finally, please note that in order for a couple to be considered in a common-law relationship, they must able to demonstrate that they have cohabitated for at least one continuous year. Usually, this period must be immediately prior to the application for the immigration visa. In your case, your cohabitation was 5 years ago, with no other periods of cohabitation.

This is your only opportunity to provide explanations of the reasons why you have not cohabitated in the past 5 years nor applied for the visa sooner.

Before rendering a final decision on your application, we are providing you with an opportunity to respond to these concerns and bring forward any information you wish to be considered. You have 30 days from the receipt of this letter to make any representations in this regard. Please send all submissions by IRCC Webform and clearly indicate your file number. Failure to respond to this letter may result in a refusal of your application.
There are multiple serious issues with your application. At this point you should hire an immigration lawyer to assist you. How you respond to this letter is extremely important.

Reactions: YVR123 and ERCAN

ERCAN

Jan 25, 2023
I agree with @scylla , you made grave mistakes in you application.

It's just my humble opinion but: it seems to me that the officer is deliberately asking questions in the way that masks the most important problem with your application. There is just a hint that either you or your sponsor committed misrepresentation but until you provide information resolving your conflicting data it's impossible for officer to accuse you/your partner of that.

So if in your response you insist on your common-law relationship spanning one year and one month, correct the overlapping and provide whatever reason for not travelling with your sponsor immediately you will fall into the trap - your sponsor had to declare your relationship when landing as a PR in March 2019. This will result in misrepresentation and she will never be able to sponsor you.

On the other hand, if you will claim that the sponsor information is correct, and you made a mistake you end-up in another situation where you are not eligible for common-law as you spent only 4 months together. If it ends there, your application will be refused but you'll be able to marry, collect more proofs of your relationship and resubmit. However, this mistake can also be considered as misrepresentation but this time on your part. How can it affect your chances in your future application - I don't know.

I wrote this just to highlight that your case is potentially far more complicated than it seems. You need an immigration lawyer (not an immigration consultant) to respond to this letter. I doubt that on this forum any of us are qualified to provide you any other advise except this one.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I agree with @scylla , you made grave mistakes in you application.

It's just my humble opinion but: it seems to me that the officer is deliberately asking questions in the way that masks the most important problem with your application. There is just a hint that either you or your sponsor committed misrepresentation but until you provide information resolving your conflicting data it's impossible for officer to accuse you/your partner of that.

So if in your response you insist on your common-law relationship spanning one year and one month, correct the overlapping and provide whatever reason for not travelling with your sponsor immediately you will fall into the trap - your sponsor had to declare your relationship when landing as a PR in March 2019. This will result in misrepresentation and she will never be able to sponsor you.

On the other hand, if you will claim that the sponsor information is correct, and you made a mistake you end-up in another situation where you are not eligible for common-law as you spent only 4 months together. If it ends here, your application will be refused but you'll be able to marry, collect more proofs of your relationship and resubmit. However, this mistake can also be considered as misrepresentation but this time on your part. How can it affect your chances in your future application - I don't know.

I wrote this just to highlight that your case is potentially far more complicated than it seems. You need an immigration lawyer (not an immigration consultant) to respond to this letter. I doubt that on this forum any of us are qualified to provide you any other advise except this one.
Agreed with all of this. This is not a good situation and could very easily tip into a misrepresentation ban. It actually looks like clear cut misrepresentation to me. Time to lawyer up.

Last edited:

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Agree with others.
Timeline:
Your common law partner in another common law relationship:
March 20th, 2016 - November 2018.
common law partner left for Canada (not sure if that's landing as PR or for other purpose. but that's the earliest possible date the sponsor could have landed):
March 2019
You in a common law relationship with your partner:
February 2018 - March 2019 (1 year+1 month)

This implied that your common law partner could:
1) landed as PR with her ex partner while their relationship had already broken down
- for either way. she has misrepresented when she landed as PR.

2) having you as her partner and not declaring her relationship with you before landing
OR
2) Your common law relationship is not valid and you only started to live with your partner after November 2018.

I hope that your partner got her PR by her own mean. (instead of as a dependent of her pervious partner or being sponsored).
This is a very complicated case and you need a lawyer.

Last edited:
Reactions: armoured and scylla

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Agree with the others.

What jumps out to me, is this:

That seems to scream misrepresentation on the part of the sponsor and, if true, would mean that the OP could never be sponsored by their partner.

Last edited:
Reactions: YVR123