+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR Card Renewal - Truck Driver

deepk94

Feb 13, 2020
My Uncle is a Truck Driver and he has been going to US almost every week for past 2 years and has a lot of entries going in and out. He does not have an exact record. I already requested CBSA travel history for him.

My question is Do we need to Add his each entry and exit to USA and back to Canada to Travel History section for PR card renewal? As he may have more than 200 entries.

OR I can just attach CBSA history record with it.

OR IRCC will just take away from CBSA itself.

PLEASE HELP.

Naheulbeuck

Aug 14, 2015
My Uncle is a Truck Driver and he has been going to US almost every week for past 2 years and has a lot of entries going in and out. He does not have an exact record. I already requested CBSA travel history for him.

My question is Do we need to Add his each entry and exit to USA and back to Canada to Travel History section for PR card renewal? As he may have more than 200 entries.

PLEASE HELP.

It is strongly recommended that going forward he keeps an excel document with all absences. For now you'll have to do your best to recall all absences, CBSA history may not be complete, check on the US side as well. But YES he needs to list every entry no matter how many and inconvenient that is. No IRCC will not do it for you.

It says on the form AND again in the guide:

Your Travel History: You must list all your absences from Canada in the last five (5) years, or since becoming a permanent resident if less than five (5) years ago. Fill in the dates of the time that should be assessed.

Absences include vacations, absences due to employment, trips to the USA and any other time you left Canada.

Use another page if you need more space to list this information.

If you fail to disclose some absences that are not in the CBSA history but that IRCC knows about (they have other tools) it could delay or impact the renewal application.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017

PLEASE HELP.
Trust me, 200 enteries aren't that many. We had 5 pages of excel spreadsheet printed. (with normal row height) We lived 30min from the border for 3 years... so. yeah.
Better to list everything to avoid any delay.

deepk94

Feb 13, 2020
Trust me, 200 enteries aren't that many. We had 5 pages of excel spreadsheet printed. (with normal row height) We lived 30min from the border for 3 years... so. yeah.
Better to list everything to avoid any delay.
However, I found this on CBSA website:

"
Applying for a Permanent Resident card
If you are renewing or applying for a Permanent Resident Card you do not need to request your Traveller History Report from the CBSA. Checking "Yes" on page 3, Question 23 (section E) of the application form allows IRCC to collect the report on your behalf.
"

https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/agency-agence/reports-rapports/pia-efvp/atip-aiprp/thr-rav-eng.html

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010

"
If you are renewing or applying for a Permanent Resident Card you do not need to request your Traveller History Report from the CBSA. Checking "Yes" on page 3, Question 23 (section E) of the application form allows IRCC to collect the report on your behalf.
"
https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/agency-agence/reports-rapports/pia-efvp/atip-aiprp/thr-rav-eng.html
This does not change anything in what either @YVR123 or @Naheulbeuck said.

The PR is still the individual who is responsible for keeping a complete and accurate record of all travel outside Canada, including day trips to the U.S.

The PR is still responsible for ACCURATELY and COMPLETELY reporting each date of exit from Canada and each date of entry into Canada (even when those occur the same day) in an application for a new PR card or an application for citizenship, and a PR can also be examined and required to report this information in other contexts as well, including a Port-of-Entry examination (not likely to happen for a professional truck driver settled in Canada and operating out of a primary business location IN Canada, but if examined it is still the PR's burden to provide this information completely and accurately).

As the CBSA web page states, it is NOT necessary for the PR to request a traveler history record from CBSA for either a PR card application or an application for citizenship. Both applications have sections in which the PR gives consent so that the CBSA travel history can be shared with IRCC. Failure to give this consent will almost always result in some delay in processing.

BUT the PR MUST still provide a complete and accurate travel history with these applications. Again, the burden is on the PR to provide this information.

IRCC uses the information in the CBSA records for the purpose of VERIFYING what the PR reports. Not in place of what the PR reports or fails to report.

Separate Note Regarding CBSA Caution: "requesting the report directly from the CBSA will cause a significant delay to your application process."

Not true. Not so long as the PR still gives consent, in the application form, for CBSA to share the PR's traveler history with IRCC.

Why CBSA frames the information in the way it makes sense. CBSA is simply trying to discourage unnecessary requests. To save government resources. But the way CBSA frames it, that is not entirely accurate. There is no reason why the PR making a request for their CBSA travel history would cause a PR card or citizenship application to be delayed . . . and as long as the PR gives the consent, in the application, it is not likely this would have any negative effect on the processing timeline.

Last edited:

kathysrazor

Star Member
Oct 25, 2020

Yes.

I keep an updated physical presence calculator account with all my absences, and update them periodically. I also keep location history on my phone (Google Maps Timeline), and send myself notes. I'll update it every few weeks.

Then on the form I go "see attached", and I have each and every trip with the times, country, and purpose. It can also help to get your travel history from the USA.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017

"
"
Yes. You do not need to request it from CBSA because you are supposed to track it yourself.

CarlaMckinney

Jun 23, 2022
My father had the same problem. And he had a hard time. We were forced to remember and write down all of my father's trips out of the U.S., plus we had to bring a document confirming all of those trips out of the country and the trips back in.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
My father had the same problem. And he had a hard time. We were forced to remember and write down all of my father's trips out of the U.S., plus we had to bring a document confirming all of those trips out of the country and the trips back in.
People should keep on going records. Will make their lives much easier.

af56939

Jul 20, 2018
I am a cross border worker. I work in US and have more than 500 entries . I need to renew my PR card soon . Should i be documenting all of the entries ?.

Please advise . How did your situation work out?