+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Physical Therapy : Job or Higher Studies for my Spouse (while I am in ICT))

gabab09

May 2, 2019
I am working in US under H1B and we are planning to migrate to Canada under ICT. My wife is from Physical Therapy background, she has bachelors from Chennai Sri Ramachandra University with 2 years of work experience.

1) So when I move to Canada (Toronto), what would be best for her Looking for job or higher studies ?
2) If job then what will be process?
3) If higher studies then what will be fees and process?
4) Can she work until I get PR ? and apply for higher studies so that fees will be low !
5) Are there any bridging courses for international physical therapy students?

Note: We are applied for academic credential evaluation at Toronto University (working on submitting the documents)

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
1,2,3 -> No idea about this specific profession. In general, you can expect that she may need to go through some form of credentialling before she is allowed to work in a quasi-medical field.

4. Yes, but only if she applies for and gets a Spousal Open Work Permit. You can apply for higher studies but I don't think you'll get the resident rate; you'll have to check with the university.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
She won’t qualify for domestic rates until you are PRs which will be quite a while. She would also need a study permit to study if the program is over 6 months long. Physical therapy is a masters program in Canada so I would imagine there may be extra training. There will certainly be a licensing exam. Your wife should be applying for a SOWP is she wants to work in Canada. Would start with determining if your ICT gets approved.