+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Philippine Registered Nurse (newly permanent resident), how do I become a nurse in Canada?

NurseHusband

Feb 7, 2024
Hello,

My long-time common-law partner is a registered nurse (RN) in the Philippines with 2 years of work experience in a hospital setting. As a permanent resident in Canada (currently in Manitoba), I plan to marry her and bring her to Canada with me.

- How can we go about her obtaining a nursing license in Canada and securing a job?
- What are our best options?

Thank you for your responses.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hello,

My long-time common-law partner is a registered nurse (RN) in the Philippines with 2 years of work experience in a hospital setting. As a permanent resident in Canada (currently in Manitoba), I plan to marry her and bring her to Canada with me.

- How can we go about her obtaining a nursing license in Canada and securing a job?

Go on the NNAS website to read the requirements. Once assesed, she can apply for her Manitoba license.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello,

Every province has their own requirements. The previous requirements were very long and difficult. Still more difficult than they likely need to be but due to the shortage of nurses much easier than a few years ago. I would check out the resources already stated but also reach out to the Philipino community where many nurses going through the process may provide extra information or tips they have learned by going through the process or even suggest what province provides the easiest path to becoming licensed if you live in a border community or are willing to move. Your spouse can also look to pursue licensing exam from abroad if she hasn’t already.