+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Paraplegic hiring Caregiver from Philippines

GuyinaChair

Aug 31, 2015
Hello everyone,

I’m a 43 year old paraplegic that is looking to hire a live-in caregiver from the Philippines to help me as my health is deteriorating and I keep falling out of my wheelchair.

I’ve been approved for CSIL funding and have a caregiver that I would like to hire. Her educational assessment is booked for Feb 2024. She is currently working in the Philippines as a caregiver and has several years experience. Her English is good and will be taking the ielts test before February.

Could someone please tell me which program I should be applying to for her work visa as things have recently changed from what I can recall about the live-in caregiver program.

Any advice is greatly appreciated, happy holidays !

- Brent in BC

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hello everyone,

I’m a 43 year old paraplegic that is looking to hire a live-in caregiver from the Philippines to help me as my health is deteriorating and I keep falling out of my wheelchair.

I’ve been approved for CSIL funding and have a caregiver that I would like to hire. Her educational assessment is booked for Feb 2024. She is currently working in the Philippines as a caregiver and has several years experience. Her English is good and will be taking the ielts test before February.

Could someone please tell me which program I should be applying to for her work visa as things have recently changed from what I can recall about the live-in caregiver program.

- Brent in BC
She would apply through the Home Support Workers Pilot program. Don’t know what you mean my ECA is booked because she sends in her post secondary degree/diploma to a registered group like WES. You don’t book at time. If you mean IELTS, then yes it is booked. She needs IELTS and ECA, and you need to meet requirements and file for a CRA business registration number.

This is a PR program and then only way to bring her to Canada. It is based on quotas so she needs to get in her application ASAP. Processing takes around 3 years. She cannot apply to work as a support worker any other way.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/caregivers/child-care-home-support-worker.html

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello everyone,

- Brent in BC
Are you related to this person or have any other connection to this person. Would be better if she was a nurse in the Philippines since caregiver course may not be sufficient to deal with more complex issues associated with paraplegia. What do you mean you keep falling out of your chair? There should be straps to secure you in your wheelchair to stop you from falling out. If they’re are’t straps can be added to ensure you secure in the chair. If you mean falling during transfers that is another issue. Size and weight needs to be a consideration when hiring a caregiver when transfers are involved even with the help of equipment it is a physical job. Depending on what your medical needs you should consider whether someone who has a nursing background in the Philippines would be better option.

GuyinaChair

Aug 31, 2015
Thank you all for your help !
Yes you may be right that I should be looking at a nurse if I’m hiring someone from overseas. I keep falling due to leg spasms during my transfers and my shoulders and wrists are no longer strong enough.
I’m having autonomic dysreflexia episodes often and it’s getting pretty hard to see living on my own being safe any longer.

GuyinaChair

Aug 31, 2015
She would apply through the Home Support Workers Pilot program. Don’t know what you mean my ECA is booked because she sends in her post secondary degree/diploma to a registered group like WES. You don’t book at time. If you mean IELTS, then yes it is booked. She needs IELTS and ECA, and you need to meet requirements and file for a CRA business registration number.

This is a PR program and then only way to bring her to Canada. It is based on quotas so she needs to get in her application ASAP. Processing takes around 3 years. She cannot apply to work as a support worker any other way.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/caregivers/child-care-home-support-worker.html
thank you for the explanation, I think there is definitely confusion on my part about the documents required.
She must have made the appointment for her IELTS exam and I misunderstood. To get the academic documents that she needs to send WES would this be something she should have herself or the school she attended has to mail them ?

GuyinaChair

Aug 31, 2015
When you say 3 years processing time does that mean 3 years before she can get a work visa or 3 years before she can get PR status ?

tetunte

Champion Member
Jul 25, 2013
Visa Office......
Mexico
NOC Code......
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
App. Filed.......
02-01-2015
Nomination.....
20-04-2015
AOR Received.
05-08-2015
IELTS Request
26-05-2015 with application
File Transfer...
09-09-2015
Med's Request
09-09-2015
Med's Done....
25-09-2015
Interview........
None
Passport Req..
20-10-2015
VISA ISSUED...
28-10-2015
LANDED..........
July 31 2016
Why don't you hire someone already in Canada? There are a lot of people who can apply for a work permit inside Canada if you provide LMIA? The LMIA waiting time is around 1 month and 4 to 5 months for the Work Permit....

GuyinaChair

Aug 31, 2015
Why don't you hire someone already in Canada? There are a lot of people who can apply for a work permit inside Canada if you provide LMIA? The LMIA waiting time is around 1 month and 4 to 5 months for the Work Permit....
This is under consideration. I spoke to the potential caregiver already and I wanted to give her an opportunity for a better life here to support her family back home. I’d still like to do that if I can, but I also have to consider someone already in Canada. I live in a small isolated town with few caregivers available due to large amount of seniors and disabled in this community.

tetunte

Champion Member
Jul 25, 2013
Visa Office......
Mexico
NOC Code......
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
App. Filed.......
02-01-2015
Nomination.....
20-04-2015
AOR Received.
05-08-2015
IELTS Request
File Transfer...
09-09-2015
Med's Request
09-09-2015
Med's Done....
25-09-2015
Interview........
None
Passport Req..
20-10-2015
VISA ISSUED...
28-10-2015
LANDED..........
July 31 2016
This is under consideration. I spoke to the potential caregiver already and I wanted to give her an opportunity for a better life here to support her family back home. I’d still like to do that if I can, but I also have to consider someone already in Canada. I live in a small isolated town with few caregivers available due to large amount of seniors and disabled in this community.
In that case is better that your caregiver enter Canada with a Work Permit, and after some time working for you. She can just renew her work permit until she can apply for the permanent residence. I belive that this program will be a regular path instead of a pilot.

GuyinaChair

Aug 31, 2015
In that case is better that your caregiver enter Canada with a Work Permit, and after some time working for you. She can just renew her work permit until she can apply for the permanent residence. I belive that this program will be a regular path instead of a pilot.
Yes thank you, I will look into this. I assume the work permits are faster to process. I believe I heard that Canada and the Philippines have a fast track program to enable caregivers to come work here much faster than in the past due to the high need for health care workers here and the well known fact that many of the caregivers come from the Philippines. I can’t seem to find much info on this or how fast they are processing work permits for caregivers.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
So you are just suggesting the Home Support Workers Pilot program? What program are you suggesting? This is the way to bring caregivers to Canada if not in Quebec.

tetunte

Champion Member
Jul 25, 2013
Visa Office......
Mexico
NOC Code......
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
App. Filed.......
02-01-2015
Nomination.....
20-04-2015
AOR Received.
05-08-2015
IELTS Request
File Transfer...
09-09-2015
Med's Request
09-09-2015
Med's Done....
25-09-2015
Interview........
None
Passport Req..
20-10-2015
VISA ISSUED...
28-10-2015
LANDED..........
July 31 2016
Home Support Workers Pilot program = is for people seeking for Work Permit + Permanent Residence. But there is always the option to request LMIA and hire people inside or outside Canada, the caregiver inside or outside Canada just apply for a restricted work permit using the LMIA, so the caregiver can work, renew the work permit as much time needed and when the right Permanent Residence is open, the caregiver can apply and go through the process. This what I explained to you is exactly what my daughter did. She was in Canada as an ESL student her student permit expired in March 2023, before that, an employer applied for LMIA in January 2023 and got the LMIA in February 2023. My daughter then applied for a work permit before March 2023, got the restricted work permit in July 2023 and has been working since then. In January we applied in HCCP - Gaining Experience.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Home Support Workers Pilot program = is for people seeking for Work Permit + Permanent Residence. But there is always the option to request LMIA and hire people inside or outside Canada, the caregiver inside or outside Canada just apply for a restricted work permit using the LMIA, so the caregiver can work, renew the work permit as much time needed and when the right Permanent Residence is open, the caregiver can apply and go through the process. This what I explained to you is exactly what my daughter did. She was in Canada as an ESL student her student permit expired in March 2023, before that, an employer applied for LMIA in January 2023 and got the LMIA in February 2023. My daughter then applied for a work permit before March 2023, got the restricted work permit in July 2023 and has been working since then. In January we applied in HCCP - Gaining Experience.
You CANNOT hire someone outside Canada and apply with a LMIA. If you are in Quebec, you can hire some outside Canada. If outside the person must come through the pilot program. The person must be IN Canada like your daughter on a work/study permit to be eligible for a LMIA. The rules were changed in around 2019 and is in the link.

You said in post #10, ”in that case is better that your caretaker enter Canada with a work permit” and that is not possible unless through the HSWP program. So if OP wants to apply for a LMIA, the person must hire someone in Canada on a study/work permit.

https://www.canada.ca/en/employment-social-development/corporate/notices/hiring-caregivers-overseas.html

Last edited:
Reactions: tetunte

Kaibigan

Champion Member
Dec 27, 2020
If you live in a small, isolated town, you might find it difficult to recruit and keep someone there. As well, the day may be coming when you will need better medical care than a small place can offer. I know about that. Where I live, if it's an emergency, call the Coast Guard. No ambulances can drive on water.

Have you considered relocating to the Philippines? You can find a decent place at modest rent and, for much less than you would pay here, you can hire a live-in nurse. Some places are not all that wheelchair-friendly, but good locations can be found,

Reactions: Naturgrl