+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

OSHPTG

egynor

Apr 27, 2024
“The OSHPTG is available to Ontario senior homeowners who pay property taxes and who have low or moderate incomes. It is an annual payment that seniors must apply for each year when they file their income tax and benefit return.”

My parents are now permanent residents via my sponsorship. Is applying for this grant considered government assistance, since there is criteria re: low income? And therefore they cannot apply for this despite meeting criteria of 64 + owning a property they paid property taxes on?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
“The OSHPTG is available to Ontario senior homeowners who pay property taxes and who have low or moderate incomes. It is an annual payment that seniors must apply for each year when they file their income tax and benefit return.”

My parents are now permanent residents via my sponsorship. Is applying for this grant considered government assistance, since there is criteria re: low income? And therefore they cannot apply for this despite meeting criteria of 64 + owning a property they paid property taxes on?
It is not social assistance.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017

Depends on when your parents became PRs and bought a home. Also depends on who they live with. This is yet another loophole that can be exploited. Assume there is a good chance your parents bought in cash since doubt they have proof of income as new PRs and 64+ in order to qualify for a mortgage. Because of their lack of Canadian pensions/retirement savings they may qualify although they are likely not cash poor while others in same savings situation but a record of income in Canada will not. This is a problem with many of the low income programs often being exploited by families whose sponsored parents who have good incomes but do their research not true low income seniors. This program is really meant for those at risk of losing homes or sacrificing essentials because some seniors are living on very limited incomes. So no it is not technically social assistance but definitely a moral issue if your family is not actually struggling to survive.

Reactions: egynor and Kaibigan

egynor

Apr 27, 2024
Depends on when your parents became PRs and bought a home. Also depends on who they live with. This is yet another loophole that can be exploited. Assume there is a good chance your parents bought in cash since doubt they have proof of income as new PRs and 64+ in order to qualify for a mortgage. Because of their lack of Canadian pensions/retirement savings they may qualify although they are likely not cash poor while others in same savings situation but a record of income in Canada will not. This is a problem with many of the low income programs often being exploited by families whose sponsored parents who have good incomes but do their research not true low income seniors. This program is really meant for those at risk of losing homes or sacrificing essentials because some seniors are living on very limited incomes. So no it is not technically social assistance but definitely a moral issue if your family is not actually struggling to survive.
My tax accountant checked “yes” to apply for this grant but I felt that it may have been incorrect to do so. So my intention is not to exploit the system at all… in fact, the opposite. I felt like since this is connected to “low income” then maybe it would be considered a form of social assistance.