+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Orphaned Minor Sibling

KTinniswood

May 8, 2024
Anyone who recently submitted an application for their minor sibling? Our mom passed last feb 2022 while my dad passed jan 2024. I applied for my minor sibling (who is currently in the phils.) wondering how many months would it take for it to be processed. We submitted his app last april 13 2024. Havent received AOR yet

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Anyone who recently submitted an application for their minor sibling? Our mom passed last feb 2022 while my dad passed jan 2024. I applied for my minor sibling (who is currently in the phils.) wondering how many months would it take for it to be processed. We submitted his app last april 13 2024. Havent received AOR yet
So sorry for your loss. You can check processing times for estimates.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/check-processing-times.html

Reactions: KTinniswood

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
This can be a very long process. If there aren’t other family members who can care for the child I would suggest considering trying to apply for a study permit if you can afford to pay for schooling (10-15/yr for high school).

KTinniswood

May 8, 2024
This can be a very long process. If there aren’t other family members who can care for the child I would suggest considering trying to apply for a study permit if you can afford to pay for schooling (10-15/yr for high school).
we are only 2 siblings.. both parents passed. He is currently living our Aunt who is at the age of 65.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
we are only 2 siblings.. both parents passed. He is currently living our Aunt who is at the age of 65.
So he is living with family even if not ideal you could still help support your sibling while waiting for PR to be processed. Sponsoring an orphaned sibling can take a long time. As a visitor he/she wouldn’t be entitled to attend school and would be limited to a maximum stay of 6 months but could be much shorter if they can get a TRV. Study permit would likely provide the best chance of being able to stay longterm until getting PR but you’d need to show that you can afford to pay for international tuition and living expenses.