+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

NOC code and reference letter

tsf14

Feb 17, 2013
Hello,
I have completed my undergrad in Canada and have been working as a Firmware engineer in Toronto for more than a year. So I'll be applying under CEC.

For the NOC code, the only thing that remotely comes close is Computer Engineer. Although some parts from Software Engineer and Electrical Engineer is also applicable. In the responsibility section of Computer Engineer, there are some points that do not match my job description and there are some work that I do that are not included in there either. Is it alright if some of the points match and some others do not?
If someone reads through my description properly, they will clearly understand what I do, even though it does not entirely match with their own description.

As for the description itself, my HR gave me the description that was used during hiring. Which means it is their own wording which does not explicitly match with the Express Entry description. It also includes the 'required qualifications' section typically found in job postings. I'm assuming someone will actually go through my letter and not just match key words?

On a similar note, my HR didn't include the NOC code thinking that it doesn't fully comply with the express entry description. How can I re-word my letter to mention that this is the closest description I can get to?

tsf14

Feb 17, 2013
Just to add a bit more detail, here is the description I was given.

• Participate in Firmware development for <company name>'s next generation platform
  • Collaborate with the System Architect to help define system architecture
  • Collaborate with local and overseas firmware teams to guide and coordinate the firmware development effort based on defined architecture
  • Collaborate with hardware team and chip vendors to validate hardware
  • Work with the project managers to drive firmware development schedule
  • Code, verify C language code and maintain existing code

Compared to what they have in NOC 2147 (Computer engineers)

Computer and telecommunications hardware engineers perform some or all of the following duties:
  • Analyze user's requirements, and design and develop system architecture and specifications
  • Research, design, develop and integrate computer and telecommunications hardware such as microprocessors, integrated circuit boards and semiconductor lasers
  • Develop and conduct design verification simulations and prototype bench tests of components
  • Supervise, inspect and provide design support during the manufacturing, installation and implementation of computer and telecommunications hardware
  • Establish and maintain relationships with suppliers and clients
  • May lead and co-ordinate teams of engineers, technologists, technicians and drafters in the design and development of computer and telecommunications hardware.

aneelkanth

Star Member
Jul 2, 2013
Toronto
The NOC code is not required on the letter. Yes all the duties do not have to match precisely. But its safe to have the majority of duties from the NOC on the letter.

Also note, that the NOC job descriptions are also very standardized and majority of them contain common phrases such as supervise, analyze, establish, develop etc. Try to accommodate these words or synonyms such as oversee, administer, direct etc on the reference letter.

I would definitely stick with synonyms to give it a customized touch. Present your draft to your HR and I don't see a point why he/she wont approve it.

ee_candidate

Star Member
Jan 24, 2018
Hello,
I have completed my undergrad in Canada and have been working as a Firmware engineer in Toronto for more than a year. So I'll be applying under CEC.

For the NOC code, the only thing that remotely comes close is Computer Engineer. Although some parts from Software Engineer and Electrical Engineer is also applicable. In the responsibility section of Computer Engineer, there are some points that do not match my job description and there are some work that I do that are not included in there either. Is it alright if some of the points match and some others do not?
If someone reads through my description properly, they will clearly understand what I do, even though it does not entirely match with their own description.

As for the description itself, my HR gave me the description that was used during hiring. Which means it is their own wording which does not explicitly match with the Express Entry description. It also includes the 'required qualifications' section typically found in job postings. I'm assuming someone will actually go through my letter and not just match key words?

On a similar note, my HR didn't include the NOC code thinking that it doesn't fully comply with the express entry description. How can I re-word my letter to mention that this is the closest description I can get to?
Could you use NOC 2173 for the 'firmware engineer' title?Did you have to provide any explanations for the same?