+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Moving school mid year

eversmannx

Nov 18, 2019
I want to move from BC to Alberta, and want to know if it's likely we will get a place in alternative program schools (like french immersion or science)? child is in grade 1.
if it's better to wait and move after term ends in June, happy to do that, but how do we register without an Alberta address?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I want to move from BC to Alberta, and want to know if it's likely we will get a place in alternative program schools (like french immersion or science)? child is in grade 1.
if it's better to wait and move after term ends in June, happy to do that, but how do we register without an Alberta address?

Any advice would be much appreciated.
No public elementary schools who specialize in certain subjects like arts or sciences. Whether you can secure a spot in French immersion will dependent on the city, school board and catchment area. In general it is always harder to move during the school year especially so close to the end of the school year when as soon as your child has starts to adjust the school year will be over. If you have to move for something like a new job, you have to move. Children are resilient it will not be the end of the world.

eversmannx

Nov 18, 2019
No public elementary schools who specialize in certain subjects like arts or sciences. Whether you can secure a spot in French immersion will dependent on the city, school board and catchment area. In general it is always harder to move during the school year especially so close to the end of the school year when as soon as your child has starts to adjust the school year will be over. If you have to move for something like a new job, you have to move. Children are resilient it will not be the end of the world.
Is it possible to plan and secure a position for september start while living in BC because I won't have a local address in Alberta till August or September?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Is it possible to plan and secure a position for september start while living in BC because I won't have a local address in Alberta till August or September?
Ask the school board in Alberta. No one can tell you as school boards may have different policies. Usually you need to show residency before you can register a child.

Reactions: canuck78 and YVR123

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Usually you need proof of residency to register your child. If not there would be no way to guarantee you lived in the catchment area.