+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Marital status mistake

delphy90

Nov 3, 2019
Hey All,

I was married 3 years ago in Egypt and got divorced after 1 year and I have been living in Germany for 3 years now. My marriage wasn't registered in Germany and I didnt know that it was registered in Egypt
I applied a while ago for short term visa to Canada as single as stated in my passport and so on and I got the visa. Now I got a job in Canada and I am applying for work permit am I able to fix the mistake and state that I was divorced in the new application or what can help ?

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
If you got married ever, anywhere, and then divorced, you should not have applied as single.

You will need to clarify in a letter of explanation why you never declared your divorce. What will you say? Surely you know it was registered in Egypt as you got divorced.

Reactions: delphy90

delphy90

Nov 3, 2019
If you got married ever, anywhere, and then divorced, you should not have applied as single.

You will need to clarify in a letter of explanation why you never declared your divorce. What will you say? Surely you know it was registered in Egypt as you got divorced.
Thank you for your reply,

I was asking for advice, do you think this is a major mistake? I didn't have the official documents by the time I applied the first time and in the application they required the exact dates of marriage and divorce so I didn't want to provide wrong information

jddd

Champion Member
Oct 1, 2017
Thank you for your reply,

I was asking for advice, do you think this is a major mistake? I didn't have the official documents by the time I applied the first time and in the application they required the exact dates of marriage and divorce so I didn't want to provide wrong information

Well you obviously gave the wrong information by claiming you were single. But that is besides the point since you are asking for advice. The advice is to write a letter explaining why you did not declare your previous marriage and divorce. Just be honest. That is all.

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
It's more than a major mistake, it's misrepresentation.

I told you about the need for a letter of explanation. And that you need to explain why you lied. Not having the official documents seems to be your story.

delphy90

Nov 3, 2019
It's more than a major mistake, it's misrepresentation.

I told you about the need for a letter of explanation. And that you need to explain why you lied. Not having the official documents seems to be your story.
I completely agree with you that it was a mistake, but I did some research too and I found that for misrepresentation the mistake has to be a material fact affecting the visa decision which I doubt for my tourist visitor visa would matter between divorced and single.

And I agree that the letter might help but do u think I should send the letter along with the application or I should wait for their reply first ?

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
That could very well be material. It's not up to you to decide.

With anything that is misrepresentation, it is better for you to tell them then have them find out and ask you. When they ask you, they're about to refuse you.

delphy90

Nov 3, 2019
That could very well be material. It's not up to you to decide.

With anything that is misrepresentation, it is better for you to tell them then have them find out and ask you. When they ask you, they're about to refuse you.
Thanks again :D I will hope this will pass in peace I will try to consult the lawyer assigned to my case and I will write on the thread the outcome

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Thanks again :D I will hope this will pass in peace I will try to consult the lawyer assigned to my case and I will write on the thread the outcome
You don't need a lawyer. Just write an explanation letter. It should be fine.

Democracy

Jan 6, 2021
Hey there. So what was the outcome of your application? I have a similar situation and was checking this forum. Wanted to know if things worked out and if cic asked you any explanation?

please advise.

Jonathan2109

Jan 7, 2021
Hey all, my fiancé had obtain her permanent residence card last year. We are getting married in March 2021. How do we inform authority in the change of marital status for my fiancé once we have the official marriage document? We cannot seems to find any information. Any help would be greatly appreciated

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hey all, my fiancé had obtain her permanent residence card last year. We are getting married in March 2021. How do we inform authority in the change of marital status for my fiancé once we have the official marriage document? We cannot seems to find any information. Any help would be greatly appreciated
She doesn't need to notify anyone since she already has PR.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Currently I don't have a PR yet. We are only required to submit a marriage certificate if we intent to put in an application via spousal sponsorship? Thanks Scylla
No. There are other documents that are required. The marriage certificate alone isn't sufficient. Suggest you research the spousal sponsorship process and read through the guides to understand what needs to be included in the sponsorship package. This these documents are submitted when she sponsors you for PR.

kkbor010

Jan 15, 2021
Hey All,

I was married 3 years ago in Egypt and got divorced after 1 year and I have been living in Germany for 3 years now. My marriage wasn't registered in Germany and I didnt know that it was registered in Egypt
I applied a while ago for short term visa to Canada as single as stated in my passport and so on and I got the visa. Now I got a job in Canada and I am applying for work permit am I able to fix the mistake and state that I was divorced in the new application or what can help ?
Hi , could you please tell how did you resolve this issue ?