+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Lots of errors on citizenship application. Advice?

Daddimes

Mar 3, 2024
Hello, I’m an idiot and rushed my citizenship application and didn’t even proofread it before submitting it.

the errors are saying I didn’t file taxes one year when I did.
I was a couple days off of when my PR status started or at least what the expiry of my PR card is.
I put the wrong start date when I was unemployed.
Put the wrong end date when I left school.
omitted a short trip to the states.
Put the wrong country and year I on vacation
Put the wrong year on two other travel dates.
Put the wrong date my student visa ended and didn’t include temporary residency status on my application. (This one is because I generally didn’t know what status I had at the time or when it ended. I got my PR through marriage and did all the paperwork through a lawyer. Eventually found the paperwork through my wife’s old email.)

I wrote an LOE correcting the mistakes before IRCC reached out to me, and they still haven’t. Contacted a consultant about it who said while it’s not great, but nothing is material so a LOE should be fine, the worse case scenario is that they simply reject my application and make me repay for a new submission . I just don’t know if I believe her. Should I contact an actual lawyer to see what they have to say? What can I expect to happen?

I’m worried because my family is in Canada (wife and kids are Canadian with one kid just being born). Everyone is telling me it will be fine, and I can’t be the only one who made these kinds of mistakes. I can’t help think that I just jeopardized my family because of this.

Bornlucky

May 15, 2018
Hello, I’m an idiot and rushed my citizenship application and didn’t even proofread it before submitting it.

the errors are saying I didn’t file taxes one year when I did.
I was a couple days off of when my PR status started or at least what the expiry of my PR card is.
I put the wrong start date when I was unemployed.
Put the wrong end date when I left school.
omitted a short trip to the states.
Put the wrong country and year I on vacation
Put the wrong year on two other travel dates.
Put the wrong date my student visa ended and didn’t include temporary residency status on my application. (This one is because I generally didn’t know what status I had at the time or when it ended. I got my PR through marriage and did all the paperwork through a lawyer. Eventually found the paperwork through my wife’s old email.)

I wrote an LOE correcting the mistakes before IRCC reached out to me, and they still haven’t. Contacted a consultant about it who said while it’s not great, but nothing is material so a LOE should be fine, the worse case scenario is that they simply reject my application and make me repay for a new submission . I just don’t know if I believe her. Should I contact an actual lawyer to see what they have to say? What can I expect to happen?

I’m worried because my family is in Canada (wife and kids are Canadian with one kid just being born). Everyone is telling me it will be fine, and I can’t be the only one who made these kinds of mistakes. I can’t help think that I just jeopardized my family because of this.
Hi, you'll just have to see what happens now. You've added complexity to a system that can't handle simplicity.

• Haha
Reactions: fièrementcanadien

Seym

Champion Member
Nov 6, 2017
This put your credibility at risk, with potential added scrunity and/or delays from IRCC, but at the end of the day, if you're eligible, you're gonna become a citizen.
Hopefully the corrections of the LOE are enough and IRCC won't need to ask for additional clarifications, but no-one can really say how an application will go (both spotless and rushed ones!), including lawyers... Delays because IRCC needs to validate this and that, or you becoming a citizen in 4 months are both possible outcomes.
Yeah, wait and see, but don't stress too much : no citizenship application, except refugee reavailments (refugees going to their home country / applying for their home passport...) puts the PR status at risk. Your family is as much at risk today than it was the day before you applied :)

Flyingfast

Feb 9, 2022
Did you meet the residency requirement? If you signed the application on the day you became eligible or If you are short even 1 day, your application will be rejected. I think you just added considerable time to your process by not taking the time to submit an accurate application.

D-Dog

Star Member
Feb 2, 2024
What stage of the process are you at? In your shoes, I would cancel the application and start again.

Daddimes

Mar 3, 2024
What stage of the process are you at? In your shoes, I would cancel the application and start again.
I took the test and everything else is in progress
I wanted cancel it too, but the person I talked too said don’t bother, and that they probably won’t even accept it even if I tried. Which sucks because I would love to cancel it. I only noticed the errors recently.

Last edited:

Daddimes

Mar 3, 2024
Did you meet the residency requirement? If you signed the application on the day you became eligible or If you are short even 1 day, your application will be rejected. I think you just added considerable time to your process by not taking the time to submit an accurate application.
I met it by several hundred days. That is particularly why I felt confident to not review it at the time and just hit submit. Processing time is not a concern, nor is it a concern of just being a waste of $630 dollars. Being accused as misrepresention is my only fear.

Daddimes

Mar 3, 2024
This put your credibility at risk, with potential added scrunity and/or delays from IRCC, but at the end of the day, if you're eligible, you're gonna become a citizen.
Hopefully the corrections of the LOE are enough and IRCC won't need to ask for additional clarifications, but no-one can really say how an application will go (both spotless and rushed ones!), including lawyers... Delays because IRCC needs to validate this and that, or you becoming a citizen in 4 months are both possible outcomes.
Yeah, wait and see, but don't stress too much : no citizenship application, except refugee reavailments (refugees going to their home country / applying for their home passport...) puts the PR status at risk. Your family is as much at risk today than it was the day before you applied :)
Thank you, that is a relief to hear.
How is my PR status not at risk though?

Last edited:

Seym

Champion Member
Nov 6, 2017
Thank you, that is a relief to hear.
How is my PR status not at risk though?
Well, it's not. The only effect a citizenship application has on a PR status is that it ends it with the oath.
My message here was just an answer to the last paragraph of your original message (jeopardize the family...). No you didn't jeopardize it. You may have made your application less straightforward, but that's all you did.

Reactions: fièrementcanadien