+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

International student got pregnant

May 17, 2024
I am an international student and 6months pregnant with a canadian citizen who is married. They separated October2023 and as far as I know their divorce is still on process. I also came in Canada under common-law with my now ex boyfriend but he got denied many times. I am already not in school now as my pregnancy is getting bigger. Me and my canadian citizen boyfriend are now living together since April.

i just want to know:
1. What will happen on my visa? Do I need to go home before or after I deliver my baby?
2. What will happen on my student visa?
3. Will I be consider a common-law with the father of my child even if he is still married and my status here is common-law with my ex-boyfriend?
4. Will I get any maternity leave benefits?
5. Can I stay in Canada and get PR?
6. And for my delivery, I need to pay all of it?

Thank you for all clarifications.

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
If you haven’t paid or made contributions to EI, which I assume you haven’t , you wouldn’t be eligible for maternity benefits.

I’d prepare yourself financially for having to pay for your child’s birth . You haven’t mentioned if you’re covered under any provincial healthcare plan .

When did you stop studying ?

Commonlaw won’t kick in till next year April. Why would it ? You stated you only started living together last month.

Getting pregnant doesn’t give you PR. Qualifying thru a PR stream or marrying the baby daddy , or waiting for commonlaw and him sponsoring you is the path to PR .

You need to do more research . You’ve gotten yourself into a hell of a pickle. Like a HELL of a potentially hugely expensive pickle.

Last edited:
May 17, 2024
If you haven’t paid or made contributions to EI, which I assume you haven’t , you wouldn’t be eligible for maternity benefits.

I’d prepare yourself financially for having to pay for your child’s birth . You haven’t mentioned if you’re covered under any provincial healthcare plan .

When did you stop studying ?

Commonlaw won’t kick in till next year April. Why would it ? You stated you only started living together last month.

Getting pregnant doesn’t give you PR. Qualifying thru a PR stream or marrying the baby daddy , or waiting for commonlaw and him sponsoring you is the path to PR .

You need to do more research . You’ve gotten yourself into a hell of a pickle. Like a HELL of a potentially hugely expensive pickle.

After a year and they are not yet divorce, can me and my partner still be consider as a common-law? Can he still sponsor me?

With my studies, i already stop going to school and already filed a maternity leave since I am allowed 150days.

with the healthcard, I only have my insurance when I came here as my ex-boyfriend who supposed to be my common-law here got denied.

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
After a year and they are not yet divorce, can me and my partner still be consider as a common-law? Can he still sponsor me?

With my studies, i already stop going to school and already filed a maternity leave since I am allowed 150days.

with the healthcard, I only have my insurance when I came here as my ex-boyfriend who supposed to be my common-law here got denied.
You’re not commonlaw until you’ve lived together for 12 months , or get married

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017

When exactly did you start and stop studying and when does your study permit expire? When did your previous attempts to secure PR through common law get denied and why did they get denied? Do you have private insurance through your school or do you have access to a provincial health card?