+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How many family members - IMM 0008?

wanderer88

May 1, 2019
I found the below link with instructions for IMM0008

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/complete-0008-5669.html

It says "

Enter the total number of family members included in your application. This includes yourself and any family members, regardless of whether they intend to accompany you to Canada or not.

"

The definition of Family members is:
An applicant’s closest relatives, in the context of an application to IRCC. It is defined as a spouse or common-law partner, dependent children, and their dependent children.

see:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/glossary.asp#family_members
=============================================================
Edit:

Most of the people select 1, but I suppose if it is sponsorship application for only the spouse, then the number of members should be 2 (1 primary applicant and 1 spouse)
I guess they change it from 1 to 2 at the cic after they receive the application.

Was just going through info on how to link the paper application to online account. It is mentioned there

"If you are applying for family sponsorship, enter the number of family members, including the primary applicant, the sponsor and the co-signer (if applicable) who are part of your application."

Link:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=1226&top=23

Laurahd

Jun 26, 2019
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
App. Filed.......
15-10-2019
AOR Received.
03-12-2019
Med's Done....
23-10-2019
=============================================================
Edit:
Most of the people select 1, but I suppose if it is sponsorship application for only the spouse, then the number of members should be 2 (1 primary applicant and 1 spouse)
I guess they change it from 1 to 2 at the cic after they receive the application.

Was just going through info on how to link the paper application to online account. It is mentioned there

"If you are applying for family sponsorship, enter the number of family members, including the primary applicant, the sponsor and the co-signer (if applicable) who are part of your application."

Link:
Dear, you are mixing things up. They haven’t changed it.

For the form 0008, you put the applicant and it’s spouse and dependants (and dependant of dependants) that are NOT Canadian citizens or permanent resident. Your application must include your sponsor so yes, when you try to link your application, you include the total number of family members (immediate family) that are mentioned in your application, whether they can be sponsored or no.

For example, in my case, I sponsor my husband and we have a child together. Our son and I are bot Canadian citizen so he puts only 1 member in the form imm0008. You can refer to the guide on he cic website too.

wanderer88

May 1, 2019
Dear, you are mixing things up. They haven’t changed it.

For the form 0008, you put the applicant and it’s spouse and dependants (and dependant of dependants) that are NOT Canadian citizens or permanent resident. Your application must include your sponsor so yes, when you try to link your application, you include the total number of family members (immediate family) that are mentioned in your application, whether they can be sponsored or no.

For example, in my case, I sponsor my husband and we have a child together. Our son and I are bot Canadian citizen so he puts only 1 member in the form imm0008. You can refer to the guide on he cic website too.
I agree with you. Issue was there is no giude Currently available for imm0008. So for filling the field for number of family members in the application, you should be correct.
But for linking the application, they have mentioned this

You can check this link

Plus I read from many people on the forums that they could link their application online when they put 2 whereas in their paper application they had entered 1. So maybe for linking it's different. Bit confusing

Laurahd

Jun 26, 2019
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
App. Filed.......
15-10-2019
AOR Received.
03-12-2019
Med's Done....
23-10-2019
I agree with you. Issue was there is no giude Currently available for imm0008. So for filling the field for number of family members in the application, you should be correct.
But for linking the application, they have mentioned this

You can check this link

Plus I read from many people on the forums that they could link their application online when they put 2 whereas in their paper application they had entered 1. So maybe for linking it's different. Bit confusing
You can find how to fill it in the basic and complete guides for sponsorship on cic website.

So if there is only the PA, in the form it would be 1 as the sponsor is PR or citizen. Then to link the form, you put 2 as it says in the link.

Mar 2, 2020
Sorry to bring this up again, but I'm getting lost reading the information above.

If I and my 3 children are permanent residents and I want to sponsor my husband, do I put in 1 or 2 in the number of family members in the application?

Mar 2, 2020
Only people included in the app are counted, so 1.
Since my husband is the only person listed in the application, the "Dependants" section should be removed, correct?

The reason I ask is I'm not sure if the final part applies to all the categories (spouse, children, etc.) in this sentence:

"You must include you spouse or common-law partner, if applicable, and all of your dependent children, and those of your spouse or common-law partner, who not already permanent residents of citizens of Canada"

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Since my husband is the only person listed in the application, the "Dependants" section should be removed, correct?

The reason I ask is I'm not sure if the final part applies to all the categories (spouse, children, etc.) in this sentence:

"You must include you spouse or common-law partner, if applicable, and all of your dependent children, and those of your spouse or common-law partner, who not already permanent residents of citizens of Canada"
It applies to all, so there are no dependents.

Zugheidy

Apr 26, 2024
Hello. I would like to know if you could help me because I submitted the sponsorship application and it was rejected for the IMM 0008 form and they told me that there was an error in tables 1, 2, 3 and 4 (a, b and c) and I have managed to correct all of them, except the Table 3 that they asked me says (dependants not listed or that were listed incorrectly) and I cannot find the option where it should be edited since it does not allow it in the already created profile, and in the option that says ADD DEPENDENTS it is disabled. If you have any information, what should I do? thank you so much