+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

High School

Waleed123

Mar 10, 2013
I am moving back to Canada from Pakistan. My daughter is doing her O Levels, which is 11 years of education. I assume after moving to Canada she will go to high school for a year to get high school diploma to get in University. I need to know how many courses she need to take in 12th grade? is it mandatory to take French or History etc which she never studied before to get diploma. My concern is how many credit she will get for O Level and what courses she have to take to get accepted in a good university.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
That is something you have to discuss with the school based on her previous studies. The need to study in French will depend on whether you are moving to Quebec.

MichelleN

Mar 4, 2019
Hi Waleed,

This will depend on a credit transfer. Normally grade 12 students require 6-4U (grade 12 credits) but she may need to take some grade 10 or 11 courses to meet the pre-requisites for certain courses. It depends on her transcript from her home country. What province will she be attending school in?

Are you going public or looking for a private International school?

Michelle

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi Waleed,

This will depend on a credit transfer. Normally grade 12 students require 6-4U (grade 12 credits) but she may need to take some grade 10 or 11 courses to meet the pre-requisites for certain courses. It depends on her transcript from her home country. What province will she be attending school in?

Are you going public or looking for a private International school?

Michelle
There are only a few international private schools and the rest are just Canadian private schools. The international schools operate on the IB curriculum or French Bac curriculum. Unless your child is currently pursuing one of those curriculums it would not be a good idea to transfer into such a demanding curriculum. Some private schools offer an option of IB or Canadian credits. The majority of these private schools are very expensive and require admission interviews.

Loulla

Aug 4, 2019
Hello,
Currently, my children are in grades 11 and 10 and I will land in Canada by the end of October. Would I be able to register them for schools by that time? I don’t want them to end up repeating a year nor do I want them to miss their academic year, so what do you advise me to do? Help is needed as soon as possible.
Thank you.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hello,
Currently, my children are in grades 11 and 10 and I will land in Canada by the end of October. Would I be able to register them for schools by that time? I don’t want them to end up repeating a year nor do I want them to miss their academic year, so what do you advise me to do? Help is needed as soon as possible.
Thank you.
Contact your local school board. They can register. Many school boards are operating in the the quadmester system (4 quads rather than 2 semesters) so they will have missed the first two courses for the year.

Loulla

Aug 4, 2019
I just got the confirmation of permanent residence and I think the visa will take up to one month and to prepare ourselves,, so will land on the end of October,,, and I have no idea what a school board is? can u please more precise?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
I just got the confirmation of permanent residence and I think the visa will take up to one month and to prepare ourselves,, so will land on the end of October,,, and I have no idea what a school board is? can u please more precise?
Well your school board is where you live. Can’t tell you your school board.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
What school your children can attend is based on where you live. You’ll need to get PR and secure a home in Canada before the can register. Yes children can transfer into school at any point during the year.

milon45

Star Member
Jul 10, 2023
I am moving back to Canada from Pakistan. My daughter is doing her O Levels, which is 11 years of education. I assume after moving to Canada she will go to high school for a year to buy college diploma and transcripts. I need to know how many courses she need to take in 12th grade? is it mandatory to take French or History etc which she never studied before to get diploma. My concern is how many credit she will get for O Level and what courses she have to take to get accepted in a good university.
The transition from O Levels to the Canadian education system can vary by province. In general, your daughter's O Level courses may be assessed for equivalency, and she might need to complete additional courses to meet provincial graduation requirements. Typically, a high school diploma in Canada requires a specific number of credits in various subjects, including English, Math, Science, and Social Studies. French may be a mandatory or elective course depending on the province. It's advisable to contact the specific provincial education department or the school where your daughter plans to enroll for accurate information. Additionally, universities often have specific admission requirements, which may include prerequisite courses. Check with the universities your daughter is interested in for their specific criteria. Admissions offices are usually helpful in providing guidance on course requirements and credit transfers.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
The transition from O Levels to the Canadian education system can vary by province. In general, your daughter's O Level courses may be assessed for equivalency, and she might need to complete additional courses to meet provincial graduation requirements. Typically, a high school diploma in Canada requires a specific number of credits in various subjects, including English, Math, Science, and Social Studies. French may be a mandatory or elective course depending on the province. It's advisable to contact the specific provincial education department or the school where your daughter plans to enroll for accurate information. Additionally, universities often have specific admission requirements, which may include prerequisite courses. Check with the universities your daughter is interested in for their specific criteria. Admissions offices are usually helpful in providing guidance on course requirements and credit transfers.
Why are you responding to a post from 2018.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I am looking for a good private school near Scarborough for grades 3 and 6th. any advise?
What type of private school? Religiously based? IB? In English, French or French immersion. What price point per year? What is your status in Canada? Scarborough definitely not a centre of private schooling in Toronto so are you willing to travel?