+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

email from "SMART R5 IRCC" ? what is this?

LongBill

Star Member
Aug 3, 2020
Florida, USA
Category........
FAM
I just noticed an email from 3 weeks ago that I overlooked and I can't verify why I got it, I wonder if it is a phishing email or if it is unrelated to my PR (spouse) application.

The email purports to be from:

SMART R5 IRCC <no-reply@cic.gc.ca>

Headers and routing "seem" to be legitimate

The subject is:

"Validate form submission"

The body states:

"Please can you confirm your form submission by clicking the link provided"

"Click here." (a link that is now inactive)

"*Note that this link will expire in 2 days, leading to the form submission to be nullified"

A bit embarrassing, but I don't recall seeing this email at the time and I don't recall clicking the link. Now I wonder if it is a phishing email, based on (1) what, to me, sounds like non-standard English phrasing with the "Please can you confirm...", (2) I haven't even received an AOR yet for my PR application, it was received only on August 31, 2020, and (3) I don't recall setting up any other accounts at that time that might have required some verification. If this is legitimate, why didn't they include some description of the "form submission"? A Google search for "SMART R5 IRCC" is highly inconclusive, no useful results.

Thank you for any comments or direction. :- )

LongBill

Star Member
Aug 3, 2020
Florida, USA
Category........
FAM
I'm thinking that it's to be a verification that I was subscribing to the IRCC's Newsletter. A Google search for "cicsmart.com" (which is what I was led to by the email tracking) is sparse but primarily leads to the IRCC Newsletter. And I do recall that I signed up for the newsletter around that time, not that I've seen any newsletter yet (maybe because I didn't click back on that email ...which common sense tells me not to do).

I signed up again for the Newsletter (https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/enewsletter/index.asp) but haven't yet received a similar email. I'll post back if I do.

LongBill

Star Member
Aug 3, 2020
Florida, USA
Category........
FAM
The weird thing is, I get emails from my Norton Security and they are full of "click here" links, and I am suspicious of those. And the 'Krebs on Security' newsletter emails is a great source for general security news and tips, (https://krebsonsecurity.com/), but even he puts links in the email even though he tells people not to click on links in emails.

Last edited:

Shahadat ali

Sep 12, 2022
Bangladesh
Category........
Other
Visa Office......
Job seekers
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
App. Filed.......
7/9/2023
Doc's Request.
13/9/22
Nomination.....
13/9/22
AOR Received.
13/9/22
IELTS Request
I verified the email and it is indeed from IRCC, and you have completed all the necessary steps in my application process, then what can expect to receive an Acknowledgement of Receipt (AOR). The AOR is a confirmation that IRCC has received your application and has begun processing it?