+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Cancelling my study permit and applying work permit.

Jasonbourne91

Mar 7, 2024
I took a 1 year PGDM course in Ontario, graduated on 17th Dec 23 and received my graduation certificate on the 28th Feb. I wanted to study for another year, applied for another course, received the offer letter, and extended my study permit until April 2025. However, I wish to work full-time due to a change in plans. Can I cancel my study permit and apply for a PGWP, or is it too late?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I took a 1 year PGDM course in Ontario, graduated on 17th Dec 23 and received my graduation certificate on the 28th Feb. I wanted to study for another year, applied for another course, received the offer letter, and extended my study permit until April 2025. However, I wish to work full-time due to a change in plans. Can I cancel my study permit and apply for a PGWP, or is it too late?
You can apply for PGWP but anticipate that it may be extremely difficult to qualify for PR with only 1 year of PGWP.

Jasonbourne91

Mar 7, 2024
You can apply for PGWP but anticipate that it may be extremely difficult to qualify for PR with only 1 year of PGWP.

Thank you for your reply. I have 2 years of experience working as a claims advisor for an MCN named Allstate Insurance back home. I received an offer to be an insurance agent from a company based in Nova Scotia. So I was wondering, since the claims advisor job falls under the Teer 2 category and the position from this new company falls under the Teer 3 category, I believe I should be qualifying for the Nova Scotia Skilled Worker PNP, Or even if I work for a year i should be able to apply for an express entry category, right? Any advise would be helpful. Thank you!

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thank you for your reply. I have 2 years of experience working as a claims advisor for an MCN named Allstate Insurance back home. I received an offer to be an insurance agent from a company based in Nova Scotia. So I was wondering, since the claims advisor job falls under the Teer 2 category and the position from this new company falls under the Teer 3 category, I believe I should be qualifying for the Nova Scotia Skilled Worker PNP, Or even if I work for a year i should be able to apply for an express entry category, right? Any advise would be helpful. Thank you!

Suggest you post under PNP. Not very familiar with all the PNP programs. Have you calculated your likely CRS scores based on various past IELTS scores and if you work as a claims advisor for a year? Express entry scores are very high at the moment so unless your CRS scores are going to be over 530 it will likely be difficult to qualify for PR with express entry. Canada accepted a very large number of temporary residents in the past few years and most were hoping to secure PR so now there are a very large number of people all trying to secure PR and/or extend their temporary permits because they can’t qualify for PR. CRS scores are likely to remain high for quite some time.

Reactions: Jasonbourne91

syed adam

Mar 31, 2024
after one year of studying, if i apply for PGWP and then work for a year then if I enroll in another course will i get another PGWP

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
after one year of studying, if i apply for PGWP and then work for a year then if I enroll in another course will i get another PGWP
No. You can only hold a PGWP once.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
even if study after working

even if i study again
Again, you can only hold a PGWP once.

So if you study again after your first PGWP, you will not qualify for a second PGWP.

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth