+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canada child benefit. How to claim

jaffaral

Champion Member
Jun 29, 2014
Category........
Other
Hello
I m a PR (landed in 2019) and permanently moved to Canada in 2022. I will file my tax for the year 2022
I have applied for my wife and son’s spousal sponsorship and I hope they will come to Canada sometime later this year . So my question is once my son arrives will he be eligible for child benefit from day 1, or as some people told me that according to new rules child needs to wait for 1 year after his arrival to be eligible for Canada child benefit?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello
I m a PR (landed in 2019) and permanently moved to Canada in 2022. I will file my tax for the year 2022
I have applied for my wife and son’s spousal sponsorship and I hope they will come to Canada sometime later this year . So my question is once my son arrives will he be eligible for child benefit from day 1, or as some people told me that according to new rules child needs to wait for 1 year after his arrival to be eligible for Canada child benefit?
You will qualify on day one if your child is living with you in Canada.

jaffaral

Champion Member
Jun 29, 2014
Category........
Other
You will qualify on day one if your child is living with you in Canada.
But I read it’s the primary caregiver who is usually a female parent can he eligible. My wife ,I believe won’t be consider as a tax resident for the previous year because she was not in Canada .

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
But I read it’s the primary caregiver who is usually a female parent can he eligible. My wife ,I believe won’t be consider as a tax resident for the previous year because she was not in Canada .
Doesn’t matter that your wife wasn’t a tax resident. You will need to prove the family income Canadian and international for the past year or two in order to qualify.

Musakhan123

Sep 20, 2023
Hi @jaffaral, i saw ur post regarding the tempered doc for address you have uploaded in your divorce certificate.
can you tell me does ircc verify that doc from union council.