+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applying Work Permit in POE (Airport)

Vik-Can

May 4, 2024
Hi everyone!
I have an approved LMIA (PR stream) that my employer applied for, the Canadian offer letter, and pretty much all of the documents that would be needed to apply online from outside of Canada. My employer wants me to join in a month, however, the processing time from India is about 5-6 months. I am thinking of coming to Canada as I have a visitor/tourist visa and applying for a work permit at the airport.
Please let me know if this is doable.
Also if anyone from India has gone through this same route before, then kindly reply and share your experience.
Thank you all!

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hi everyone!
I have an approved LMIA (PR stream) that my employer applied for, the Canadian offer letter, and pretty much all of the documents that would be needed to apply online from outside of Canada. My employer wants me to join in a month, however, the processing time from India is about 5-6 months. I am thinking of coming to Canada as I have a visitor/tourist visa and applying for a work permit at the airport.
Also if anyone from India has gone through this same route before, then kindly reply and share your experience.
Thank you all!
You can try and if refused, you apply inland. It is not guaranteed that you will get work permit. What do you mean by LMIA (PR stream)? Is is a LMIA only for PR purposes?

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/work-canada/permit/temporary/apply/poe.html

Vik-Can

May 4, 2024
You can try and if refused, you apply inland. It is not guaranteed that you will get work permit. What do you mean by LMIA (PR stream)? Is is a LMIA only for PR purposes?

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/work-canada/permit/temporary/apply/poe.html
But my query is my country is not from a visa-exempt country. Everywhere I have read, I have found that only people from visa-exempt countries can apply at POE. Are they even going to let someone enter who expresses to apply for WP but is refused by them? There are 3 types of streams of LMIA. Low-wage, High-Wage, and PR stream. In PR stream, employers need to support for their employee's PR.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
But my query is my country is not from a visa-exempt country. Everywhere I have read, I have found that only people from visa-exempt countries can apply at POE. Are they even going to let someone enter who expresses to apply for WP but is refused by them? There are 3 types of streams of LMIA. Low-wage, High-Wage, and PR stream. In PR stream, employers need to support for their employee's PR.
So your employer paid the $1k and filed for the LMIA? Just read the rules further and you cannot so apply online.

The following persons cannot apply on entry to Canada [R198(2)]:

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/foreign-workers/persons-who-may-apply-port-entry.html

Vik-Can

May 4, 2024
Yes.
Yeah, that's why I was confused.
Btw are you in Canada? And from which country are you from?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi everyone!
Thank you all!
Unfortunately you do not meet the criteria to apply at the POE so most likely CBSA will not issue the work permit and you will need to apply online.