+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Advice about work to settle

mfkoko321

Star Member
Jul 23, 2017
Hello Everyone,

I need your advice about my situation, I will try to make it short.

I have landed in Canada in August 2019, I went back home planning to complete couple of projects and earn some money then really move to Canada, however the pandemic started in February and everything changed. Mainly I couldn't find jobs in Canada so I stayed home working.

U got my PR in August 2019 I know that to get the citizenship I need to stay 3years out of 5, I am now close to staying two years outside Canada, I am afraid to lose the PR now! and not sure what's gonna happen after that.

Second thing is finding a job is really hard since August I have been applying daily till now I only got two interviews only one was successful with very low unstable payment. I am a professional Network engineer with over 10 years experience in IT field.

Last thing am thinking to join a Master program at the University but again with no source of income and I have a family of 5 members including me, that will be difficult.

Am thinking now that I really have to move and the only thing I can see now is to buy a car and drive for uber but quick Google search showing that Uber driver can't be your only source of living.

Please share any advise that can help so I can take the move.

Thanks everyone

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello Everyone,

I have landed in Canada in August 2019, I went back home planning to complete couple of projects and earn some money then really move to Canada, however the pandemic started in February and everything changed. Mainly I couldn't find jobs in Canada so I stayed home working.

U got my PR in August 2019 I know that to get the citizenship I need to stay 3years out of 5, I am now close to staying two years outside Canada, I am afraid to lose the PR now! and not sure what's gonna happen after that.

Second thing is finding a job is really hard since August I have been applying daily till now I only got two interviews only one was successful with very low unstable payment. I am a professional Network engineer with over 10 years experience in IT field.

Last thing am thinking to join a Master program at the University but again with no source of income and I have a family of 5 members including me, that will be difficult.

Am thinking now that I really have to move and the only thing I can see now is to buy a car and drive for uber but quick Google search showing that Uber driver can't be your only source of living.

Thanks everyone
Have you tried contacting a recruitment firm that specializes in IT jobs? Are you applying using a Canadian address or phone #? Your applications may be screened out if you are using an international address or phone #. I would suggest changing your address and phone number and see if that helps. As long as you have the skills you should be getting more interviews at the very least. Are you limiting your application to a certain city or are you applying throughout Canada?

cic86

Star Member
Feb 26, 2018
Hello Everyone,

Thanks everyone
Sorry but you've made a mistake here. You should've taken that job, that was your entry point into the Canadian job market. You could've used that as a springboard to launch your career in Canada. That's actually how most people get going in Canada. Infact you're one of the lucky ones to get an offer specially if its in your own field. That's a WOW moment. I can think of many including myself who would've grabbed that offer in a heartbeat.

I wouldn't recommend doing a Masters and taking on further debt unless that's always been part of your plan and you are very clear about how it benefits your career but going by your post it doesn't seem that way.

I understand your pain, it's a sorry state of affairs in Canada with the govt not relaxing the RO and immigrants stuck in a vicious cycle of
unemployment, under-employment and debt just to cross the RO bridge. You get a PR easily only to find out that getting a field job is the actual hurdle here. Getting a PR is the easy part , I got mine in less than 6 months and many others have too, most immigrants don't realise this and learn the hard way.

Not trying to discourage you but it maybe a blessing in disguise to forgo your Canadian "dream" and just get a job in your home country as you have a family to support.

Last edited:

mfkoko321

Star Member
Jul 23, 2017
Thanks to both of the answers above. I can see two different approaches which is actually a good thing :).

first I don’t know how to contact them these recruiters specializes in IT field, but as a new comer there are many agencies which are listed in the government websites, I have contacted many of them and they were supportive in terms of looking at my c.v and I did lots of amendments according to their advice but the job search is something that i have to do which am currently doing.

second. regarding my CV, I have updated my CV with local contact and address and my Canadian number is available and thats how i got the two calls. I am not limited to City in fact I have applied almost every where in Canada.

mfkoko321

Star Member
Jul 23, 2017
@cic86 thanks for sharing your opinion and experience, I don’t know what to say about that but I didn’t get the PR easily and had similar answers to yours which are in fact helpful to get me through and here I am i got the PR :). I would advise you to do not give up on anything in general and nothing is impossible if someone els can do it then I can do it too :).
I came here to ask a question as I always have done to collect every information and experience so i can have my own approach, I really appreciate you are sharing your experience I will always have that in my mind before taken a step forward:). Thanks