+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

2 part-time semesters will effect PGWP?

nikhil.mahn19

Sep 16, 2020
Hi,
I am currently studying in a 2 year full-time program but in my last semester which was 4th semester i failed in two courses but now in my 5th semester i passed all my courses but my total gpa is 1.95 instead if 2.0 so i have been advised to do another course to achieve my GPA but i don't know now should i do a part-time semester or a full-time semester. Will doing a part-time semester again effect my PGWP or should I do a full-time semester?

JapaneseInMB

Star Member
May 27, 2020
Winnipeg
Category........
CEC
Job Offer........
Yes
AOR Received.
18-07-2020
Med's Done....
10-10-2020
LANDED..........
22-11-2020
Hi,
I am currently studying in a 2 year full-time program but in my last semester which was 4th semester i failed in two courses but now in my 5th semester i passed all my courses but my total gpa is 1.95 instead if 2.0 so i have been advised to do another course to achieve my GPA but i don't know now should i do a part-time semester or a full-time semester. Will doing a part-time semester again effect my PGWP or should I do a full-time semester?
Taking part-time courses in your last semester is acceptable.

According to IRCC, one of your eligibilities for PGWP is this.

Maintained full-time status as a student in Canada during each semester of your study program
  • this doesn’t include your final semester, which can be part-time, or if you took an approved leave from your studies

Reference: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/study-canada/work/after-graduation/eligibility.html

nikhil.mahn19

Sep 16, 2020

Maintained full-time status as a student in Canada during each semester of your study program
  • this doesn’t include your final semester, which can be part-time, or if you took an approved leave from your studies

Reference: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/study-canada/work/after-graduation/eligibility.html
But i want to is it okay for me to take another course which is part time as my last semester and have the previous semester as part-time too?

JapaneseInMB

Star Member
May 27, 2020
Winnipeg
Category........
CEC
Job Offer........
Yes
AOR Received.
18-07-2020
Med's Done....
10-10-2020
LANDED..........
22-11-2020
But i want to is it okay for me to take another course which is part time as my last semester and have the previous semester as part-time too?
I am not quite understanding. You failed two courses. Does that mean you only took two courses and failed both? Or, were you taking a number of courses which is equivalent to full-time, but failed two courses?

If you were taking full-time courses, but failed two. I don't think there is an issue there. You were a full-time student, but just academically unsuccessful.

Therefore, as long as you took full-time courses in the 4th semester, it is okay for you to take part-time in your last semester. Regardless of whether you were full-time or part-time student in your 4th semester, you do not have any more options. You are ALLOWED to take part-time in your last semester, but you aren't in any other semesters.

nikhil.mahn19

Sep 16, 2020
I am not quite understanding. You failed two courses. Does that mean you only took two courses and failed both? Or, were you taking a number of courses which is equivalent to full-time, but failed two courses?

If you were taking full-time courses, but failed two. I don't think there is an issue there. You were a full-time student, but just academically unsuccessful.

Therefore, as long as you took full-time courses in the 4th semester, it is okay for you to take part-time in your last semester. Regardless of whether you were full-time or part-time student in your 4th semester, you do not have any more options. You are ALLOWED to take part-time in your last semester, but you aren't in any other semesters.
Yes sir i took a full time semester in my 4th semester, but in 5th semester i only did two courses so it was a part time semester. i passes both the courses but my over all GPA is lower than required so i have been asked to do another course to graduate. I can do just one more course and graduate in my 6th semester. But I dont want to risk my PGWP so I am worried if taking a 6th semester again as a part time semester will create a problem or not for my PGWP.
So originally 5th semester was supposed to be my last semester but now 6th semester will be the last one so i dont know what should i do for my 6th semester, take a full-time course or taking a part-time semester again in 6th semester again will effect my PGWP?

JapaneseInMB

Star Member
May 27, 2020
Winnipeg
Category........
CEC
Job Offer........
Yes
AOR Received.
18-07-2020
Med's Done....
10-10-2020
LANDED..........
22-11-2020
Yes sir i took a full time semester in my 4th semester, but in 5th semester i only did two courses so it was a part time semester. i passes both the courses but my over all GPA is lower than required so i have been asked to do another course to graduate. I can do just one more course and graduate in my 6th semester. But I dont want to risk my PGWP so I am worried if taking a 6th semester again as a part time semester will create a problem or not for my PGWP.
So originally 5th semester was supposed to be my last semester but now 6th semester will be the last one so i dont know what should i do for my 6th semester, take a full-time course or taking a part-time semester again in 6th semester again will effect my PGWP?
Yes, this will affect your PGWP. It CAN be a reason for your PGWP rejection for sure since you took a part-time semester, which is your 5th semester, if you decide to take another part-time semester.

Whilst it is still POSSIBLE for you to just get PGWP, it is a potential risk for you to get rejected, too. In my case, my very first semester was a part-time semester because I wasn't able to get into any courses. However, I got a letter from my department explaining why I wasn't able to take full-time courses and IRCC officer accepted this as a reason.

I hope this helps.

nikhil.mahn19

Sep 16, 2020
In my case,
My success advisor is giving me a option to go far a part-time semester again in just one course and get my graduation and so if i get a letter from her saying that she verified and approved both of my courses will it help too?

JapaneseInMB

Star Member
May 27, 2020
Winnipeg
Category........
CEC
Job Offer........
Yes
AOR Received.
18-07-2020
Med's Done....
10-10-2020
LANDED..........
22-11-2020
In my case,
My success advisor is giving me a option to go far a part-time semester again in just one course and get my graduation and so if i get a letter from her saying that she verified and approved both of my courses will it help too?
It does not matter whether you academic advisor approves you to take the courses or not. Your advisor's letter must convince your reasons to take part-time courses in the 5th semester. You must ask your advisor to explain the reason why this decision has to be made academically. But, again. all the decisions are up to the IRCC officer who will be looking at your case.

What's done is already done. I see no other ways. My advice is to get your department to write a fully explanatory letter as to why you had to be part-time student on the 5th semester to convince the IRCC officer. There is still a risk, but you cannot graduate otherwise you take the 6th semester so!

Good luck!

Modi13453

Jul 24, 2021
I came in canada in 2019, and studied 10 months full time course at one of the colleges in canada, then took another course in different college for 8 months of my study, but during my study in the 2nd year of course I was being part-time in two consecutive semesters. One of the time is due to medical reason I dropped one subject and took in summer term, and later found out my GPA stands low so had to take another course in spring to improve GPA, so will I still be eligible for PGWP?
1st year of my course (10 months) I didn’t lose full time status ,only in the 2nd year of last two semesters.
I have already applied for my PGWP( it’s been over a 2 months now since I applied) Also attached LOE about the whole situation as well as later in the webform too.

AdmiralGG

Star Member
Jun 2, 2022
Hi, it might be an irrelevant post for this thread. But I really wanted your thoughts on this-

I was a thesis-based master's student in a two-year program. I started in Fall'19, but due to the nature of the research and impact of COVID-19, I was granted an extra semester full scholarship (Fall'21). I had a successful thesis defense in late Fall'21 (December) and completed all the requirements in January'22. I registered for the Winter'22 term, however as I successfully completed all the degree requirements in January'22, my transcript shows that my degree has been granted in January'22 and I exited the program in the same month.

My question is as I technically had only 1 semester part-time (Only Fall'21 since I exited the program on January 22) and only one month in the winter'22 term, will that affect my PGWP approval? I would like to add that, for the Winter'22 term my transcript doesn't even show any courses because I only had to submit the revisions after the thesis defense.

Your thoughts would be highly appreciated!

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi, it might be an irrelevant post for this thread. But I really wanted your thoughts on this-

I was a thesis-based master's student in a two-year program. I started in Fall'19, but due to the nature of the research and impact of COVID-19, I was granted an extra semester full scholarship (Fall'21). I had a successful thesis defense in late Fall'21 (December) and completed all the requirements in January'22. I registered for the Winter'22 term, however as I successfully completed all the degree requirements in January'22, my transcript shows that my degree has been granted in January'22 and I exited the program in the same month.

My question is as I technically had only 1 semester part-time (Only Fall'21 since I exited the program on January 22) and only one month in the winter'22 term, will that affect my PGWP approval? I would like to add that, for the Winter'22 term my transcript doesn't even show any courses because I only had to submit the revisions after the thesis defense.

Your thoughts would be highly appreciated!
Shouldn’t be an issue but I would clarify the situation in your application for PGWP.

Reactions: AdmiralGG

AdmiralGG

Star Member
Jun 2, 2022
Shouldn’t be an issue but I would clarify the situation in your application for PGWP.
Hi, thanks for your reply! However, I didn’t want to complicate the application, so just submitted my transcript (which shows I’m registered as active on every term) and degree completion letter from the university. On the explanation letter i said that I have defended my thesis in Fall’21 and as of January”22 I have finished all the requirements. I didn’t mention any part time/ full time issue, since I came to know that thesis based masters are considered full time for immigration purpose in many universities (e.g., https://umanitoba.ca/sites/default/files/2021-01/ft-status-for-ircc-purposes_final_jan-11-2021_0.pdf). I hope this wouldn’t cause refusal to my application

shantanu2512

Aug 24, 2022
Hi, I am an international student and I just graduated. I have one part-time study term and one of the terms was an off term because I could not find a co-op job due to covid. I am going to apply for a PGWP and I am worried that I will get refused, what do you guys think I should do?

thatniceboy

Aug 29, 2019

can you take one class during summer ?

thatniceboy

Aug 29, 2019
Hi, I am an international student and I just graduated. I have one part-time study term and one of the terms was an off term because I could not find a co-op job due to covid. I am going to apply for a PGWP and I am worried that I will get refused, what do you guys think I should do?
Did u get approved ?