+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

My wife and I both international PhD students

nomaddd44

Oct 20, 2023
Ottawa
Category........
STUDY
Hello,

As title says, my wife and I are both international PhD students in Ontario who only hold study permit. In Ontario as you know to get a PR you first need to be graduated but we dont want to wait this long. So we are now seeking options to get a work permit or PR while we are in PhD.

We are aware that one of the options is one can get a work permit for the other but in this case the one who doesnt have a study permit still has to study and the one with work permit cannot study at the same time because they cannot hold study permit and work permit together if they apply after June 7 2023.

So what are the other options for us to get a work permit while we are doing PhD and without quitting our PhD program? By the way we both have research assistantships and we got some other merit-based scholarships. I heard this is also a way to get a work permit but I couldnt find any info about that, like how to apply etc.

Thank you so much.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello,

As title says, my wife and I are both international PhD students in Ontario who only hold study permit. In Ontario as you know to get a PR you first need to be graduated but we dont want to wait this long. So we are now seeking options to get a work permit or PR while we are in PhD.

We are aware that one of the options is one can get a work permit for the other but in this case the one who doesnt have a study permit still has to study and the one with work permit cannot study at the same time because they cannot hold study permit and work permit together if they apply after June 7 2023.

So what are the other options for us to get a work permit while we are doing PhD and without quitting our PhD program? By the way we both have research assistantships and we got some other merit-based scholarships. I heard this is also a way to get a work permit but I couldnt find any info about that, like how to apply etc.

Thank you so much.
If you have enough points, you can apply and be selected through FSW Express Entry based on having at least one year of continuous foreign work experience. Will depend on how many points you have. Have you calculated how many points you have as of right now?

nomaddd44

Oct 20, 2023
Ottawa
Category........
STUDY
No we haven't checked our points actually and we don't have any foreign work experience except a 2 years of teaching assistant while in masters in our home country. It was more like included in a full scholarship package. I am not sure if it is counted as work experience.