+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

help ! - never been resident Canadian citizen considering moving to Canada, with spouse & child

May 5, 2024
Hi, I have Canadian Citizenship & SINumber, but have never been resident in Canada. I am considering moving to Canada with my UK spouse & child, but although I believe it is fairly easy for me to just move over there, I am getting confused about what forms and visas my husband would need in order to work, and child to be able to live there. Many thanks in anticipation of your reply.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi, I have Canadian Citizenship & SINumber, but have never been resident in Canada. I am considering moving to Canada with my UK spouse & child, but although I believe it is fairly easy for me to just move over there, I am getting confused about what forms and visas my husband would need in order to work, and child to be able to live there. Many thanks in anticipation of your reply.
Why don't you sponsor your spouse and child for immigration first?

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
As suggested, just apply to sponsor your spouse. If you are a biological parent of the child, they will be a Canadian citizen by birth. Just get their citizenship papers. If the child is not yours, you would include then with your spouse's sponsorship application. Since you are a Canadian citizen, you can start the process now with an Outland sponsorship application, whilst living abroad.

Because you have never resided in Canada, you will need to have a plan as to how you will start your new life in Canada (housing, job, etc.).

hawk39

Mar 26, 2017
If you are a biological parent of the child, they will be a Canadian citizen by birth.
Based on the OP's description of never residing in Canada, the OP is probably a citizen by descent and cannot pass down citizenship to her child; even with the recent ruling, the proposed amendment would require the parent to have been in Canada for 1095 days before the birth of the child. Therefore, sponsorship is the only way.

Reactions: YVR123