+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Bringing newborn baby, born outside Canada to Canadian PR parents

maincanada

Dec 12, 2022
Dear All,

We are Canadian PR card holders, however currently living outside Canada.
Please help me on the queries for my new born baby, born outside Canada:

1. How can we take the new born to Canada, is a visitor visa the only possible route?

2. Is it possible to add the new born for PR, based on the parents (our) PR status?

3. Will the baby be eligible for benefits such as healthcare, free schooling?

Requesting you to share your knowledge and experience on this topic, since we are really stuck with these questions.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Dear All,

We are Canadian PR card holders, however currently living outside Canada.
Please help me on the queries for my new born baby, born outside Canada:

1. How can we take the new born to Canada, is a visitor visa the only possible route?

2. Is it possible to add the new born for PR, based on the parents (our) PR status?

3. Will the baby be eligible for benefits such as healthcare, free schooling?

Requesting you to share your knowledge and experience on this topic, since we are really stuck with these questions.
Look in the family sponsorship forum here. Are you compliant with residency obligation? (How long living outside Canada?). This is very important.

1. Basically yes, unless one parent returns before and does the whole sponsorship process before the child and other parent join. (Note, must sponsor from within Canada)

2. Via sponsorship route.

3. When a PR, definitely. While visiting - depends on province, is short answer. You should/will need to plan on having health insurance for any interim periods, and possibly until the child receives PR status.

maincanada

Dec 12, 2022
Thanks a lot for your response.
Basically the situation is that we did a softlanding in August, got out PR cards and came back in November.
Now we are planning to shift completely around mid of next year to Canada after baby' birth.

1. So in such a situation, how can we enter Canada with the newborn baby? I assume through visitor visa.

2. Will the health benefits etc be allowed on visitor visa, till the sponsorship is processed.

3. Generally how much time does it take to apply for sponsorship till getting the pr for family member (baby in our case)

Look in the family sponsorship forum here. Are you compliant with residency obligation? (How long living outside Canada?). This is very important.

1. Basically yes, unless one parent returns before and does the whole sponsorship process before the child and other parent join. (Note, must sponsor from within Canada)

2. Via sponsorship route.

3. When a PR, definitely. While visiting - depends on province, is short answer. You should/will need to plan on having health insurance for any interim periods, and possibly until the child receives PR status.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thanks a lot for your response.
Basically the situation is that we did a softlanding in August, got out PR cards and came back in November.
Now we are planning to shift completely around mid of next year to Canada after baby' birth.

1. So in such a situation, how can we enter Canada with the newborn baby? I assume through visitor visa.

2. Will the health benefits etc be allowed on visitor visa, till the sponsorship is processed.

3. Generally how much time does it take to apply for sponsorship till getting the pr for family member (baby in our case)
1. Apply for a TRV for the child.
2. Generally, no. The child will only qualify for health care benefits once a PR. So you'll need to buy private insurance to cover emergencies.
3. Plan for 8-12 months. Note that you cannot submit the application until at least one of the parents has moved back to Canada.

Reactions: YVR123 and armoured

maincanada

Dec 12, 2022
1. Apply for a TRV for the child.
2. Generally, no. The child will only qualify for health care benefits once a PR. So you'll need to buy private insurance to cover emergencies.
3. Plan for 8-12 months. Note that you cannot submit the application until at least one of the parents has moved back to Canada.
Thanks Syclla for your response.

So my POA would be apply for baby's TRV and land there along with the Baby
After reaching there, will apply for baby's sponsorship and in the meanwhile will take private insurance.

1. How much time does it usually take from applying family member's sponsorship till getting PR status for the family member?

2. Is there any chance of cancellation of the sponsorship request? What are the circumstances under which sponsorship request could be cancelled?

I need to plan a lot of steps that's why asking so specific questions.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thanks Syclla for your response.

So my POA would be apply for baby's TRV and land there along with the Baby
After reaching there, will apply for baby's sponsorship and in the meanwhile will take private insurance.

1. How much time does it usually take from applying family member's sponsorship till getting PR status for the family member?

2. Is there any chance of cancellation of the sponsorship request? What are the circumstances under which sponsorship request could be cancelled?

I need to plan a lot of steps that's why asking so specific questions.
1. Answered earlier. Plan on 8-12 months end to end.
2. If you move out of Canada during the sponsorship process or spend too much time outside of Canada where IRCC feels you aren't living in Canada, that could result in cancelation. You must be living in Canada at the time you submit the application and then continue living in Canada while the application is processed.

maincanada

Dec 12, 2022
1. Answered earlier. Plan on 8-12 months end to end.
2. If you move out of Canada during the sponsorship process or spend too much time outside of Canada where IRCC feels you aren't living in Canada, that could result in cancelation. You must be living in Canada at the time you submit the application and then continue living in Canada while the application is processed.
Thanks a lot for your quick response.

It really helps answer too many confusions.

Till the time the baby doesn't get the sponsorship converted to PR (tentative 8-12 months), will have to travel out of Canada once, since stay on visitor visa cannot be more than 6 months? Am I right?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thanks a lot for your quick response.

It really helps answer too many confusions.

Till the time the baby doesn't get the sponsorship converted to PR (tentative 8-12 months), will have to travel out of Canada once, since stay on visitor visa cannot be more than 6 months? Am I right?
No. You simply apply to extend the baby's visa from within Canada.

Reactions: YVR123

elmano15

Oct 26, 2023
Hello guys. Does anyone here have been in this situation or know someone who has been? The main applicant is a PR whose spouse has a copr but has not landed yet and delivered a newborn outside Canada. What do they do, and what is the fastest way to Canada? Thank you

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hello guys. Does anyone here have been in this situation or know someone who has been? The main applicant is a PR whose spouse has a copr but has not landed yet and delivered a newborn outside Canada. What do they do, and what is the fastest way to Canada? Thank you
There is no fast way. Main applicant must be in Canada to sponsor infant for PR. Is COPR still valid so spouse can land? Infant needs an approved TRV to come to Canada. If refused, then apply for TRP. If infant is approved then can travel to Canada and wait for PR in Canada. Parent can then apply inland. Infant will need private health insurance until PR.

elmano15

Oct 26, 2023
There is no fast way. Main applicant must be in Canada to sponsor infant for PR. Is COPR still valid so spouse can land? Infant needs an approved TRV to come to Canada. If refused, then apply for TRP. If infant is approved then can travel to Canada and wait for PR in Canada. Parent can then apply inland. Infant will need private health insurance until PR.
My spouse copr expires in Oct, 2024. I came back to my country for an emergency situation. Is there a way to go all together? What you are saying is there is, apply for TRV, if refused, TRP. And once we are all in Canada, I can start the sponsorship application for my newborn, is this correct ?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
My spouse copr expires in Oct, 2024. I came back to my country for an emergency situation. Is there a way to go all together? What you are saying is there is, apply for TRV, if refused, TRP. And once we are all in Canada, I can start the sponsorship application for my newborn, is this correct ?
So you cannot apply for your child’s PR until you are in Canada. Yes, Your only option is to apply for a TRV for infant. And if refused, TRP. And if refused, then you must travel to Canada and apply for PR and then infant waits for approval. This may lead to your spouse’s COPR expiring and then you must then apply for her PR in Canada. Hopefully infant’s TRV/TRP is approved before spouse’s COPR expires.

Look at private health insurance for infant until PR. You will most likely not have a family doctor as waiting lists can be years so will need to rely on walk-in clinics (pay out of pocket as insurance may not cover routine visits).

elmano15

Oct 26, 2023
So you cannot apply for your child’s PR until you are in Canada. Yes, Your only option is to apply for a TRV for infant. And if refused, TRP. And if refused, then you must travel to Canada and apply for PR and then infant waits for approval. This may lead to your spouse’s COPR expiring and then you must then apply for her PR in Canada. Hopefully infant’s TRV/TRP is approved before spouse’s COPR expires.

Look at private health insurance for infant until PR. You will most likely not have a family doctor as waiting lists can be years so will need to rely on walk-in clinics (pay out of pocket as insurance may not cover routine visits).
Thank you buddy for the clarification. A final question, is it required to have an address in Canada for the TRV or TRP? Because I still don't have one