+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Young Professional and spouse open work permit

Mellih

Feb 18, 2018
Hey guys,
My boyfriend and I ( common- law since 6,5 years) are both in Canada with a Working Holiday Visa. We are german. I have an approved Young Professional Visa which I want to activate in August when our WHV expires.
Now we know that it is possible to get an open work permit for him because I'm working in a job with the right NOC classification. So we're thinking about going to the border and doing flagpoling together. I will activate my Young Professional and he would apply after that for his open work permit.
I'm already working with the WHV for the same employer where I start with the YP Visa and we can get all the necessary documents from him for his permit. But now I'm not sure if this is working or which way we have to go. I know that it is possible to get an open work permit at the border, but don't know if this works in our situation or which rules they have. Can't find enough information about it. Tried to ask at the government but they understood it wrong (were thinking we want to get a permit while one of us has a WHV).
Maybe you guys can help me? Would be nice. Thank you :)

Last edited:

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hey guys,
My boyfriend and I ( common- law since 6,5 years) are both in Canada with a Working Holiday Visa. We are german. I have an approved Young Professional Visa which I want to activate in August when our WHV expires.
Now we know that it is possible to get an open work permit for him because I'm working in a job with the right NOC classification. So we're thinking about going to the border and doing flagpoling together. I will activate my Young Professional and he would apply after that for his open work permit.
I'm already working with the WHV for the same employer where I start with the YP Visa and we can get all the necessary documents from him for his permit. But now I'm not sure if this is working or which way we have to go. I know that it is possible to get an open work permit at the border, but don't know if this works in our situation or which rules they have. Can't find enough information about it. Tried to ask at the government but they understood it wrong (were thinking we want to get a permit while one of us has a WHV).
Maybe you guys can help me? Would be nice. Thank you :)
Hi

Not quite sure what information you are asking for. Here is a link about applying at a POE: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/foreign-workers/persons-who-may-apply-port-entry.html

Mellih

Feb 18, 2018
If he can apply for the Open Work Permit directly when I activate my Young Professional at the border or if I have to activate my visa first and he can apply for the permit just when I start working with this visa.
And if he needs first a Visitor Visa than a Working Holiday or if this doesn't matter.
Thanks for the link.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
If he can apply for the Open Work Permit directly when I activate my Young Professional at the border or if I have to activate my visa first and he can apply for the permit just when I start working with this visa.
And if he needs first a Visitor Visa than a Working Holiday or if this doesn't matter.
Thanks for the link.
He can apply at the same time if you have the necessary proofs of your skilled job.

Dukes

Jan 31, 2018
Hi, i am in a similar situation too and wandering how your visas all turned out? We're you able to activate both YP and spousal permit at the border? Thanks!

Mellih

Feb 18, 2018
Hi there,
Sorry Annie, I had not seen your post.
And yes Duke and Annie, everything worked out perfectly. We both got our visa straight away at the border. Will do it next week again but now the opposite way. I will get the spouse visa this time and he got the YP.
Just have all the necessarly documents with you and then your fine. :)

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Wow, that sounds like a good plan, I am also looking for a way for my partner and me to stay.

However, I though spousal visas are not possible under the IEC Visas which the Young Professional Visa is part of?

See here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=841&top=25

What am I missing?
Thanks
Spouse 1 cannot be issued a permit simply on the basis of Spouse 2 having a permit. However, if Spouse 2 comes to Canada and gets a skilled job, Spouse 1 can then apply for a work permit based on being the spouse of a skilled worker.

c1414014

Dec 6, 2019
Hi Mellih,

So glad to hear your situation worked out well! I'm in a similar situation and wanted to know what documents you had with you at the border to show common law? Just want to make sure I have everything I need!

Thanks,
Emily

daniel4111

Feb 1, 2020
I am also wondering the same thing regarding the documents you had at the border. Does the common law spouse being attached to the visa need to prove insurance etc. ? Thanks!