+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

WTF!? Whats the difference between Employment Record and Letter of Employment?

Southpaw_34

Feb 22, 2015
Whats the difference between Employment Record and Letter of Employment? My current job I have: Record of employment (which includes reference letter written as they asked) , Offer of employment (from my current job), what the heck is letter of employment??? can I just use my reference letter? or do I have to ask my employers for a 3rd letter saying the same thing????!!!!!!

rajanvnv

Champion Member
Jun 19, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Southpaw_34 said:
Whats the difference between Employment Record and Letter of Employment? My current job I have: Record of employment (which includes reference letter written as they asked) , Offer of employment (from my current job), what the heck is letter of employment??? can I just use my reference letter? or do I have to ask my employers for a 3rd letter saying the same thing????!!!!!!
Employment Record would be your Reference Letter. As I understand, the Letter of employment would be your initial offer letter or contract of employment.

EFK

Feb 13, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Is the initial offer of employment also required at any stage during the process?

Isn't the letter of reference from employer enough?

Asivad Anac

VIP Member
May 27, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
EFK said:
Is the initial offer of employment also required at any stage during the process?

Isn't the letter of reference from employer enough?
For non-LMIA cases, reference letter would be enough. This requirement stated by the OP is typical of applicants who are claiming those 600 additional points.

For the rest, CIC doesn't need job offer letters.

ohcanada!

Jun 5, 2015
Some definitions:

Record of Employment (ROE): Document issued by Service Canada for Employment Insurance (EI) purposes usually after the employment is finished. You can request one from your employer anytime you want.

Employment Reference Letter: A letter issued by your employer in a company letterhead stating your position, responsibility, term of employment, salary etc.

Offer Letter: An offer letter issued by the employer when the job offer is made. It contains all the terms and conditions of employment plus signature of both the parties.

I don't think providing ROE is necessary but if you have one then you can provide it. However, Employment Reference Letter is important and must be provided. And it is also good to be provide Offer Letter too.

Hope this helps

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
ohcanada! said:
Great definitions, just adding a few details -

Record of Employment (ROE): Document issued by Service Canada for Employment Insurance (EI) purposes usually after the employment is finished. You can request one from your employer anytime you want.
You can also sometimes download this from the Service Canada website. Not required, but sometimes a useful document if the Letter of Employment/Reference letter is lacking.

Employment Reference Letter: A letter issued by your employer in a company letterhead stating your position, responsibility, term of employment, salary etc.
And for CIC's purpose, the letter of employment/reference letter attests to your completed or past work experience. It is required for all claimed work experience.

Offer Letter: An offer letter issued by the employer when the job offer is made. It contains all the terms and conditions of employment plus signature of both the parties.
Not required UNLESS you are claiming "arranged employment" (for 600 points). In addition to the LMIA, the job offer letter must indicate an offer of permanent full-time employment contingent upon the employee obtaining permanent resident status.

cherryyyyy

Star Member
Jun 29, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Under mycic's "offer of employment" I upload the contract I signed before my probation. So it only stated the situation during probation.

Under "letter of employment" and "reference letter", I uploaded letters both stated my job is permanent, indeterminate and full time with hours and salary.

Is it sufficient for a valid job offer?????? Will I be rejected? I'm under BCPNP international graduate and keep employed with the same employer for over 2 years.

Mutair

Star Member
Oct 23, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Southpaw_34 said:
Record of employment (issued after job is done/terminated): similar to a T4. includes the name of the employer, income information, taxes, etc..

Letter of employment: Reference letter on a company letterhead from your manager/supervisor. Includes job duties, dates and responsibilities.

Source: I have obtained both from previous employer.