+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

WP and Visitor Status

sujeet12july

Feb 19, 2019
Hi All, I am on open work permit and my husband has applied for my visitor extension (not open WP extension). now my current company is ready to apply for closed WP.

My question is , can I go with this and what will be impact on my visitor extension?

Please reply asap

Youthberry

May 12, 2016
Hi All, I am on open work permit and my husband has applied for my visitor extension (not open WP extension). now my current company is ready to apply for closed WP.

My question is , can I go with this and what will be impact on my visitor extension?

Please reply asap
There is no impact on your visa extension application. You can apply for a closed work permit whenever you get all the required document, including LMIA.

sujeet12july

Feb 19, 2019
There is no impact on your visa extension application. You can apply for a closed work permit whenever you get all the required document, including LMIA.
Thanks for your reply , does it mean I will get my visitor extension too? or they will just close my visitor extension application and will process.

Youthberry

May 12, 2016
Thanks for your reply , does it mean I will get my visitor extension too? or they will just close my visitor extension application and will process.
No, you will still getting your visitor extension if you applied for it before applying for a work permit. LMIA is a long process. It doesn’t give you a status. You will still need to apply for a work permit on your own, not your employer. LMIA and the work permit associated with it are separate things. Don’t mix them up.
In a rare case scenario, you can cancel your visitor extension before your current visa expires and apply for a work permit. However, you will be most likely waiting for the result for LMIA at that point.