+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Wow and re-wow...

michelsavage

Nov 8, 2015
In short: applied for PR for my Thai wife. I am Canadian, living with wife in Thailand. Our application for PR was going to take another 20 months but, wow, we just got an email from Singapour saying... "... send your passports, fill the form, your application is almost complete..." Is this possible??? Also, the email was sent to my wife, with her address stated in Canada (an ex-address where we used to live a few years back). Also, although the application is right, the UCI number in the letter is not the same as that of the PR application. Is it possible they use an old UCI number when my wife asked for a tourist visa three years ago? I'm confused and excited... excited and confused...

michelsavage

Nov 8, 2015
OK. Got an answer: Canada Singapor used a two-year old application for temporary residence for my wife. The UCI number and the Canadian address correspond to that old application. They now use this old UCI to process my new application for permanent residence. I suppose they don't want two different UCIs for the same person...

bahazadath

Nov 20, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
OTTAWA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04/12/2016
congratulations ...
may be you done something good in your life? if it is not you maybe it is your wife ?!!
you believe in god ??? thank him a lot...it's a providence but let me notice something ! in all your massages you never put a date... it's just weird for someone soooo excited!!!!!

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
It appears that Singapore is slow only if an interview is required (they doubt the sincerity of the relationship). If they do not have any concerns and feel that the relationship is solid, then processing time is much faster. Sounds like they don't have any concerns in your case so the interview is skipped and processing will be speedy.

browning911

Champion Member
Mar 30, 2016
Toronto ON
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
CPCMISS
App. Filed.......
30-03-2016
Doc's Request.
Redo IMM5406 and IMM5669 (Jan 2017)
AOR Received.
02-05-2016
Med's Request
00-00-0000
Med's Done....
27-06-2016
Interview........
00-00-0000
Passport Req..
00-00-0000
VISA ISSUED...
00-00-0000
LANDED..........
17-07-2017
michelsavage said:
In short: applied for PR for my Thai wife. I am Canadian, living with wife in Thailand. Our application for PR was going to take another 20 months but, wow, we just got an email from Singapour saying... "... send your passports, fill the form, your application is almost complete..." Is this possible??? Also, the email was sent to my wife, with her address stated in Canada (an ex-address where we used to live a few years back). Also, although the application is right, the UCI number in the letter is not the same as that of the PR application. Is it possible they use an old UCI number when my wife asked for a tourist visa three years ago? I'm confused and excited... excited and confused...
Congratulations!

IRCC used the UCI from our visitor's extension for the PA's application.

When did you submit your application?

michelsavage

Nov 8, 2015
As a reminder: I am Canadian living in Thailand with Thai wife. Application was submitted July 7th 2016. So we are now November 24th. That's 4.5 months since I sent my application. I was accepted as sponsor fairly quickly, I think 1 month. This is spectacularly fast. I had made plans for 28 months of waiting. Now.... Phew. ONE QUESTION: once PR is granted, how quickly do I have to move to Canada before losing the PR visa? Thank you all for your great support!

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
There should be a date mentioned in the papers you received and on the visa itself saying when it expires. This is usually one year after the medical is done.
If you need more time before moving back to Canada, you and your wife can go to Canada before this date, 'land' (which means she uses the PR visa to enter Canada), and then come back to Thailand. The visa officer would not have issued the visa if he or she did not believe that you would be coming back to Canada to live, but people can land in Canada, then go back home to finish getting ready to move, if they need more time. I would not mention this to the border agent, though.

She can have her PR card sent to an address in Canada where it would be safe, such as the home of a relative, who can then send it to her in Thailand. Or you could stay in Canada long enough to get the card yourselves.

Once she is a PR, time spent with you outside of Canada counts as part of the time necessary for her to keep her PR status (if you are a Canadian citizen).

SaskinSeoul

Star Member
Apr 1, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-11-2016
AOR Received.
15-12-2016
Med's Done....
Upfront
Interview........
No
Passport Req..
April 2017
VISA ISSUED...
April 2017
LANDED..........
June 2017
michelsavage said:
As a reminder: I am Canadian living in Thailand with Thai wife. Application was submitted July 7th 2016. So we are now November 24th. That's 4.5 months since I sent my application. I was accepted as sponsor fairly quickly, I think 1 month. This is spectacularly fast. I had made plans for 28 months of waiting. Now.... Phew. ONE QUESTION: once PR is granted, how quickly do I have to move to Canada before losing the PR visa? Thank you all for your great support!
That's awesome!!

Usually they give you a month or so to land in Canada. You can go to Canada for a week and get everything sorted and go back to Thailand and finish everything up and move home. 3 out 5 years are needed to keep permanent residence.

Do you own land in Canada or have lots of assets? It seems super fast but congrats again :)

michelsavage

Nov 8, 2015
No, I don't own land or have large assets. Both my Thai wife and I have university degrees, both are active professionally, with good reputation. All that probably helps. In any case, we will move to Canada as soon as we sell car and bicycles, get the cats ready, get rid of garbage. So I think that 3 weeks to a month will be time to move. I'm happy, but I will miss Thailand, I know.

michelsavage

Nov 8, 2015
Well, it appears there may be some confusion between Bangkok and Singapore. CIC Singapore sent me a detailed email asking for photos to be sent along with passport to Bangkok. But Bangkok asks me to send them the email from Singapore along with money for the passports... Now, we're trying, unsuccessfully, to call CIC in BKK... Phew... You'd assume that Singapore and Bangkok are on the same line of info...

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
SaskinSeoul said:
Usually they give you a month or so to land in Canada.

3 out 5 years are needed to keep permanent residence.
No, they give around a year from the date of the medical or the date the passport expires, whichever comes first.

The PR Residency Obligation is 2 out of 5 years.

ImABule

Champion Member
Mar 4, 2016
Ottawa, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
February 25, 2016
Doc's Request.
None
AOR Received.
March 24, 2016 AOR2 April 15, 2016
File Transfer...
SA April 5, 2016
Med's Done....
February 02, 2016
Interview........
Queue- August 29, 2016 Waived- November 15, 2016
Passport Req..
November 17, 2016 DM- November 18, 2016
VISA ISSUED...
November 29, 2016
LANDED..........
December 19, 2016
michelsavage said:
Well, it appears there may be some confusion between Bangkok and Singapore. CIC Singapore sent me a detailed email asking for photos to be sent along with passport to Bangkok. But Bangkok asks me to send them the email from Singapore along with money for the passports... Now, we're trying, unsuccessfully, to call CIC in BKK... Phew... You'd assume that Singapore and Bangkok are on the same line of info...
Are you sure SVO didn't ask you to send your passport to SVO via VFS Bangkok?

michelsavage

Nov 8, 2015
OK. Things seem to have cleared out. Singapore asked me to send passports to Bangkok. Then, Bangkok, charges me money to transfer passports to Singapore. I don't know why we couldn't send passports directly to Singapore. Maybe Bangkok wanted to "join the bandwagon" kindda. Anyway, things seem to move ahead. Don't know how long it will take from now. Thanks to all for your help and advice. I wish the world worked like this forum...

ImABule

Champion Member
Mar 4, 2016
Ottawa, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
February 25, 2016
Doc's Request.
None
AOR Received.
March 24, 2016 AOR2 April 15, 2016
File Transfer...
SA April 5, 2016
Med's Done....
February 02, 2016
Interview........
Queue- August 29, 2016 Waived- November 15, 2016
Passport Req..
November 17, 2016 DM- November 18, 2016
VISA ISSUED...
November 29, 2016
LANDED..........
December 19, 2016
michelsavage said:
OK. Things seem to have cleared out. Singapore asked me to send passports to Bangkok. Then, Bangkok, charges me money to transfer passports to Singapore. I don't know why we couldn't send passports directly to Singapore. Maybe Bangkok wanted to "join the bandwagon" kindda. Anyway, things seem to move ahead. Don't know how long it will take from now. Thanks to all for your help and advice. I wish the world worked like this forum...
Strange.

SVO usually asks the applicant to send the passport to SVO through the CVAC at VFS.

michelsavage

Nov 8, 2015
Residents of THAILAND
Submit passports to the Canada Visa Application Centre in Bangkok
For address, service hours, and instructions for how to submit passports through the
Canada Visa Application Centre in Thailand, visit this website:

Canada Visa Application Centre
The Trendy Office Building, 10/198-201, 28th Floor,
Sukhumvit Soi 13, Klongtoey-Nua,
Wattana,Bangkok 10110

I also failed to read the details on the Canada Visa Center about how to send passports and how to pay... That had not been made clear in the letter from Singapore... Oh well...