+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Working while waiting for work permit extension

andres123

Oct 16, 2011
I have a problem and i am very confused
I got a job offer which is for me a great opportunity, i am about to start working for this employer tomorrow, the thing is, my work permit is expired, i sent the application for an extension before the expiry date so i assume i am under "implied status" but my SIN is expired to and my employer is asking for it, what should i do? Am i ok to work? please i need advise i am lost here and i dont want to loose the opportunity to get this job.

JGK

Star Member
Jul 16, 2010
Vegreville, AB
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo (File Moved to Detroit July 2011)
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10-09-2010
Doc's Request.
N/A
Nomination.....
31-05-2010
AOR Received.
N/A
IELTS Request
N/A
File Transfer...
N/A
Med's Request
01-03-2011
Med's Done....
22-03-2011
Interview........
Not required
Passport Req..
13-09-2011
VISA ISSUED...
26-09-2011
LANDED..........
12-10-2011
Is the work permit you have applied for, for the new employer or a previous one? I am assuming it isn't because the employer doesn't already have your SIN the new TWP will be employer specific you cannot just change jobs in an instant on TWPs. (in ,my experience it takes ~3 months)

Did your new employer get an LMO for you? if so, then you have to apply with that LMO for a new TWP for the new employer.

You cannot start working for a new employer without a valid work permit.

plussy

Jan 26, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-V
NOC Code......
LIC
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi Andres123,

To my understanding you are considered on "implied status" if your WP extension/renewal is still with your previous employer with the same terms and conditions stated in your previous WP.

If you happen to change employer, your new employer must first obtain a positive LMO then you submit an application for a new WP with the job offer and the postive LMO attached.

Waz

Sep 18, 2011
If you have an open permit and you applied for an extension before it expired then your status continues with the same conditions. Meaning, you can continue to work for any employer, except ones that are prohibited on your current work permit.