+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Working Visa application and processing time.

swissrol

Feb 27, 2020
Singapore
Hi All,

My boyfriend is a Canadian living in BC and i'm from Singapore. We are in a long distance relationship for 3 yrs.
In Sept 2018. His lawyer had helped me to apply for a working visa so that i can stay and work in Canada.
However till now, the response from the immigration side is they are still processing.
Can anyone tell me how long does the processing time takes to approve?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi All,

My boyfriend is a Canadian living in BC and i'm from Singapore. We are in a long distance relationship for 3 yrs.
In Sept 2018. His lawyer had helped me to apply for a working visa so that i can stay and work in Canada.
However till now, the response from the immigration side is they are still processing.
Can anyone tell me how long does the processing time takes to approve?
Did the employer get an LMIA. Did you apply for a specific job?

swissrol

Feb 27, 2020
Singapore
Did the employer get an LMIA. Did you apply for a specific job?
No. i did not apply any jobs at all or being offered.
I was told that it was a kind of permit/visa to allow me to go Canada for 6 months and within the 6 months i can go for job hunting.
There's no issue on background check or security checks and etc..

Last edited:

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
No. i did not apply any jobs at all or being offered.
I was told that it was a kind of permit/visa to allow me to go Canada for 6 months and within the 6 months i can go for job hunting.
There's no issue on background check or security checks and etc..
This isn’t a work permit. You are applying for a visitor visa which is not intended for people trying to find employment although some do go and try and find an employer who would be willing to apply for an a LMIA and then you would have to apply for a closed work permit. Neither the LMIA are not guaranteed. The time you are allowed to stay in Canada if you get a TRV will be determined at the POE and will depend on your finances and proof that you have ties to you4 home country and will return Home.

swissrol

Feb 27, 2020
Singapore
This isn’t a work permit. You are applying for a visitor visa which is not intended for people trying to find employment although some do go and try and find an employer who would be willing to apply for an a LMIA and then you would have to apply for a closed work permit. Neither the LMIA are not guaranteed. The time you are allowed to stay in Canada if you get a TRV will be determined at the POE and will depend on your finances and proof that you have ties to you4 home country and will return Home.
ok so i now i understand that it a visitor visa.
and if its a visitor visa, but why does the processing time takes so much time to be approve?
cos to be honest, it was quite stressful for us as we didn't expect it to takes more than 1 year and is still on going.

next question is
can i apply for job while im staying out of Canada? i have more than 7 years of admin work experience and 3 years of sales experience.
or are they any options for me to apply a working visa/permit while im staying in my home country?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
ok so i now i understand that it a visitor visa.
and if its a visitor visa, but why does the processing time takes so much time to be approve?
cos to be honest, it was quite stressful for us as we didn't expect it to takes more than 1 year and is still on going.

next question is
can i apply for job while im staying out of Canada? i have more than 7 years of admin work experience and 3 years of sales experience.
or are they any options for me to apply a working visa/permit while im staying in my home country?
There is something wrong going on with your file. Do you actually have proof that the lawyer submitted your TRV? It will be incredibly hard to get a job from out of Canada because the employer has to pay around 1K and prove that they can’t find a Canadian to hire. Still hard within Canada if don’t have permission to work in Canada.

swissrol

Feb 27, 2020
Singapore
I do not have any black and white on the whole process. All it's just through our verbally communication. His lawyer would keep saying the immigrations side has no updates on my application.
And from what I know he says the immigrations only approve 2 applications per week or per month.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
I do not have any black and white on the whole process. All it's just through our verbally communication. His lawyer would keep saying the immigrations side has no updates on my application.
And from what I know he says the immigrations only approve 2 applications per week or per month.
??

Thousands of apps are approved every month. You don't qualify for a work permit and if you are from Singapore, you do NOT need a visa to come to Canada. You just need an eTA, which you can apply for yourself in all of 10 minutes. This lawyer is either an idiot or scamming you.

Reactions: AfricanGiant912

swissrol

Feb 27, 2020
Singapore
??

Thousands of apps are approved every month. You don't qualify for a work permit and if you are from Singapore, you do NOT need a visa to come to Canada. You just need an eTA, which you can apply for yourself in all of 10 minutes. This lawyer is either an idiot or scamming you.
That is seriously so screwed up....
I really dunno what to say or do now.

Yes i understand i can apply eTA to go to Canada as a visitor. But I can't find jobs in Canada with eTA.

Last edited:

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
That is seriously so screwed up....
I really dunno what to say or do now.

Yes i understand i can apply eTA to go to Canada as a visitor. But I can't find jobs in Canada with eTA.
You don't qualify for a work permit. If you want to work in Canada, you need a job offer from an employer with a positive LMIA. It is next to impossible to get such an offer.