+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

working under study visa

fujisan08

Jul 7, 2008
Hi everyone, I initially came to Canada to do an honours degree, but am now just doing a pass degree and am schedule to graduate in October 2008. However, my study visa is valid till July 31 2009. Am I allowed to work full-time without a work permit until July 2009? I am just doing some part time jobs so it's not a full-time job that requires official permission or anything, but I was wondering about the legality of this? Hope someone's able to help. Thank you in advance.

Z

ZMan

You can keep studying at any institution till July 2009, but you may only work on-campus (i.e. within that institution) without a work-permit.

habib890

Mar 30, 2008
If that part time job is on campus than no problem. However, part time jobs off campus require work permit.
Thank you.

fujisan08

Jul 7, 2008
What type of work permit are we talking about here? Is the post-graduation work permit or the work permit for full-time students (the one that allows them to work 20 hours when school is in progress and full-time during vacations?).
Thanks a lot.

habib890

Mar 30, 2008
As a student if you want to work off campus you need work permit. That is the regular work permit (that allows you to work 20 hours per week and full time during vacations).

Post graduation work permit is issued after your graduation and application to them. In your case you can apply for this after you graduate in 2009.

I hope this helps you. Thank you.

fujisan08

Jul 7, 2008
But as I said earlier, I'm graduating in October 2008, and not 2009 although my study visa is valid up until July 2009. So, after October, do I need to apply for a post-graduation work permit to work in Canada (even though my study visa is valid but I'm not a full-time student anymore?).

habib890

Mar 30, 2008
fujisan08 said:
But as I said earlier, I'm graduating in October 2008, and not 2009 although my study visa is valid up until July 2009. So, after October, do I need to apply for a post-graduation work permit to work in Canada (even though my study visa is valid but I'm not a full-time student anymore?).
-Yes you have to apply for post-graduation work permit to work in Canada. Any type of work permit is needed to work in Canada. It does not matter whether you have visa till 2009. For example, if you have a work permit that will expire in 2012 and your study visa will expire in 2009 you can still remain in Canada and continue working with your work permit. Valid visa is required to travel in and out of Canada:)

Sadruddin

Jul 21, 2008
Habib,

In that case, will the work permit (post-graduation) cover for the expiry of student visa when fuji...will leave canada to his/her own country (say after expiry of work permit)? meaning will there be any problem at airport when he/she will leave counbtry having a student visa already expired?

Salman

habib890

Mar 30, 2008
Sadruddin said:
Habib,

In that case, will the work permit (post-graduation) cover for the expiry of student visa when fuji...will leave canada to his/her own country (say after expiry of work permit)? meaning will there be any problem at airport when he/she will leave counbtry having a student visa already expired?

Salman
--So far my understanding is expired student visa will not have any problem to leave the country. I guess we do not go through immigration officers or their computers during departure from Canada. Valid visa is required to enter Canada.
(Please do not take it granted, others may put their opinion here)

fujisan08

Jul 7, 2008
I guess I'll be leaving Canada before my study visa expires, which is in July 2009 and I'm planning to leave in June, so I don't expect to run into any problems with the validity of my visa while departing Canada. But yes, I do understand the importance of having a proper work visa while engaging in any sort of work in Canada.
I've been preparing my documents to apply for a post-graduation work permit for international students, and I was wondering if anyone could share their experiences? Is getting a work permit relatively straightforward, or is there a chance that you might get rejected???

habib890

Mar 30, 2008
Here are my experiences:
- I have already applied for post graduation work permit (On June 4). I did not receive it yet. On the Canada immigration official website they mentioned that it takes approximate 9 weeks. I saw many students getting it much faster. So you can say that it depends on case to case. I guess the processing of visa/work permit applications are slow in the Summer period.

Thank you.

habib890

Mar 30, 2008
fujisan08 said:
Hi Habib, I was wondering if you already had a job offer in hand when applying for a work permit?
- No I did not have a job offer while applying for post-graduation work permit. According to the new law, if a student completes a degree from a recognized institution he/she does not require a job offer to apply for post-graduation work permit.

For more information about this check this site:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/study/work-postgrad-who.asp

Thank you.

fujisan08

Jul 7, 2008
Ya, I knew that, but I was wondering if having a job offer/not having one affects the time taken to get your work permit. Probably not. anyway, hope you get your work permit soon.
by the way, seeing that you are an intl student as well, have you filed your income taxes? Did you get any significant refund and if so, what categories did you get it under? Sorry for all the questions.....