+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

working remotely from Canada while on H1B

samverm1993

Jun 26, 2024
Hi Folks,

Could you please help me with following situation - I have a Canadian PR and currently reside in Ontario, Planning to take an offer from US firm (remote on H1B)
  1. Can I reside in Canada and work for US employer on H1B (Remote position)
  2. How does Taxation work?
  3. Do I need to have a residence in US bordering state
  4. Do I need to commute to US frequently?

zwang303

Jan 27, 2023
Hi Folks,

Could you please help me with following situation - I have a Canadian PR and currently reside in Ontario, Planning to take an offer from US firm (remote on H1B)
  1. Can I reside in Canada and work for US employer on H1B (Remote position)
  2. How does Taxation work?
  3. Do I need to have a residence in US bordering state
  4. Do I need to commute to US frequently?
Have you talked to your US employer about how long can you live outside of US? I know different companies have different policies.

FletcherHubbard

Star Member
Nov 20, 2023
Hello,

I've been working for the same client for the past 5 years (EVC model) . My I-140 has been approved and current H1b is valid till sep 2021. I am applying for a Canadian PR ( as a dependent Spouse ) . I am thinking of working remotely from Canada three weeks out of a given month while on H1B (With one week of onsite visit).
I spoke to my company's HR department about the possibility of me working remotely from Canada , and they said they don't see too many problems as long as the client agrees. I also talked to my company's attorney, he said it can certainly be done ( It was a quick 3 min conversation and he didn't sound so sure ) . So , I was wondering if anyone had actually done it or currently doing it (as opposed to the daily commute I see most people doing) and if yes, I would greatly appreciate it, if you can share your experiences (especially the questions you get during border crossing from Canada to USA for work).
Speed Test
Also, a few more things to give you a background :
I live 6 hours (drive) away from the closest Canadian Border and the client allows network traffic only from US and Canada. My payroll would still be run under NY state and I will be maintaining a residence in NY. I understand I will have to file taxes both as a US and Canadian resident .
How are you managing to work remotely from Canada for the US employer? What kind of questions were asked on both borders when you traveled once a month.

Last edited: