+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Working in summer

May 5, 2020
As an International student, I have one more course left to complete my degree and will be taking that course this summer (a scheduled university break).

The laws state that international students are allowed to work full time during scheduled university breaks. I want to ask if it is legal to work full time during the summer and study part-time when I am in my last semester (summer) which is a scheduled break?

There is not a lot of info out there about this specific scenario.

I have been a full time student every semester (except summer breaks) for the duration of my degree

The cic website states

"You can work full-time if you’re on a scheduled break, such as winter and summer holidays, or a fall or spring reading week. You’re free to work overtime or work 2 part-time jobs that add up to a higher than usual number of hours."

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
As an International student, I have one more course left to complete my degree and will be taking that course this summer (a scheduled university break).

The laws state that international students are allowed to work full time during scheduled university breaks. I want to ask if it is legal to work full time during the summer and study part-time when I am in my last semester (summer) which is a scheduled break?

There is not a lot of info out there about this specific scenario.

I have been a full time student every semester (except summer breaks) for the duration of my degree

The cic website states

"You can work full-time if you’re on a scheduled break, such as winter and summer holidays, or a fall or spring reading week. You’re free to work overtime or work 2 part-time jobs that add up to a higher than usual number of hours."
If it's a scheduled break, then you would have courses in the following Fall semester. I'm going to guess that you were supposed to graduate this past semester but have to re-take a course? If that is the case, then this summer is NOT a scheduled break and you are not allowed to work at all.

elisanoble

Apr 30, 2024
Hey @arsenalfc123bambo did you figure this out? I am in the exact same boat as you were and I want to be sure my PGWP isn't affected in the future. Would you mind advising me on this? Thanks in advance.