+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I work more than 20hr/wk in summer break if the summer break is my final semester?

glennnnn

Aug 21, 2019
Hi everyone,

I am wondering if I can work off-campus for more than 20hr/wk in the summer break.

Here is my situation. I am an international student enrolled full-time during fall and winter semester and I only need to take one course during the summer break to fullfill my graduation requirement. In my university, summer break (from May to August) is a regular scheduled break. Based on what I know, international students can work more than 20 hours per week during summer break if they are enrolled full time during fall and winter semester.

However the CIC website says that:

"Full-time students with a part-time course load in their final academic session
Students who have maintained full-time status for the duration of their program of study, and who only require a part-time course load in their final academic session in order to complete their program of study, may work off campus up to 20 hours per week during their final academic session."​

Does this rule applied to students requiring only one course to take during the summer break?
Does summer break count as an academic session or a regular scheduled break?

Thank you for reading this long post. Any discussion is welcome.

2b.or.not.2b

Dec 3, 2018
No. If you are taking even one course(considered as part time study) during summer it cannot be considered as a break so you will be allowed to work only 20 hrs/week.
Regular scheduled break is when you don't study at all thus this summer break where you are part time will be considered as an academic semester.

glennnnn

Aug 21, 2019
No. If you are taking even one course(considered as part time study) during summer it cannot be considered as a break so you will be allowed to work only 20 hrs/week.
Regular scheduled break is when you don't study at all thus this summer break where you are part time will be considered as an academic semester.
Hi Hero Member, thank you for your response but based on what I know, what you said is incorrect.

If a student is enrolled full time during the regular academic session, the student can work full time no matter the course load during the regular scheduled break.

I just contacted an agent from CIC and he said that is the key point to this problem.

Reactions: DaviaZayn

wpg_05

Nov 27, 2020
Hi Hero Member, thank you for your response but based on what I know, what you said is incorrect.

If a student is enrolled full time during the regular academic session, the student can work full time no matter the course load during the regular scheduled break.

I just contacted an agent from CIC and he said that is the key point to this problem.
hey,i am in the same situation. did you work full time during your last semester (summer) and also did you apply for pgwp and did it get approved?

akalanka1988

Nov 15, 2023
hey,i am in the same situation. did you work full time during your last semester (summer) and also did you apply for pgwp and did it get approved?
hi ; I am in the same situation. Did u proceed with this ? What was your outcome for PGWP ?