+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Working from home for US company on Canada PR.

rehansheikh15

Oct 2, 2024
Hello, I am currently on an H1B visa and my company has offered me the option to work remotely from Canada, where I hold permanent residence. I have several questions for anyone who has experience with this situation or knowledge of the relevant regulations.
1. Can I work for a US company on H1B from Canada if they allow remote work?
2. How will taxation work if my employer continues to pay me in my US bank account?
3. What health insurance options are available to my family since my employer is not Canadian?
4. Can I drive on my US license in Canada, and for how long can I drive my US-registered vehicle?
5. How can I find good schools in Toronto or GT, and is mid-year admission possible for my children?

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
1. Yes
2. Talk to tax accountant if you have to file in US.
3. Provincial health care, if all of you are PRs. If you need therapies, you pay out of pocket.
4. No. Usually you have 90 days to get provincial license exchanged.
5. Use Google. Depending on where you live, for public schools you go to the school in your catchment area. If private, google. Kids can come in anytime but if in high school they may not be able to start the semester. In Ontario second semester starts beginning of Februay.

rehansheikh15

Oct 2, 2024
1. Yes
2. Talk to tax accountant if you have to file in US.
3. Provincial health care, if all of you are PRs. If you need therapies, you pay out of pocket.
4. No. Usually you have 90 days to get provincial license exchanged.
5. Use Google. Depending on where you live, for public schools you go to the school in your catchment area. If private, google. Kids can come in anytime but if in high school they may not be able to start the semester. In Ontario second semester starts beginning of Februay.
Thank you, for the prompt reply.