+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Working before applying for PGWP

Veeraway

Mar 12, 2016
Hi guys

I'm currently holding a study permit. Can I work as a full time while I'm waiting for my final transcript come out in order to applying for PGWP? What I mean is, can I get a job right after I finished school and final transcript still in progress?

When is my student status will become invalid? After I apply for PGWP?
If I still having student status while waiting for official graduate or something, is it mean that I can work that full time job as my summer job?

Thanks

ailsaclare

Star Member
Oct 27, 2014
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-09-2014
AOR Received.
26-01-2015
Med's Request
23-02-2016
Med's Done....
27-02-2016 Med's Recv'd: 12-03-2016 RPRF Upfront: 03-03-2016
VISA ISSUED...
22-03-2016
LANDED..........
27-03-2016
Hi,

I hope I understood your question correctly - here's what i was told in January when i called CIC (my program finished December):

Before you apply for PGWP - you can work, so long as your study permit authorized you to. I was advised that *before* I applied for my PGWP I could only work 20 hours, as per the usual study permit restrictions.

Once you've applied for PGWP - you can work, full time while you wait for PGWP. This can be any type of work.

If your student visa expires before you get PGWP - you are on implied status, and can continue working until you get a decision on your application. See: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/temp/visa/validity/implied.asp

I would recommend calling CIC and clarifying your situation directly with them: my experience is that they were very understanding and appreciative of the fact that I wanted to make sure I wasn't accidentally doing something I wasn't meant to!

Good luck!