+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Working after course completion

shivam.20292

Jun 7, 2018
Hello,

I finished my 2 year program in April 2019 and now I'm waiting on the renewal of my passport and hence, can't apply for work permit until I get my passport.

How long can I work and for how many hours am I allowed to work before I apply for my work permit?

Where can I find these information on cic website?

Last edited:

bongoman

VIP Member
Dec 3, 2014
You can work until you receive completion confirmation, cant recall if its part/full time & I believe sp has to be valid.

shivam.20292

Jun 7, 2018
You can work until you receive completion confirmation, cant recall if its part/full time & I believe sp has to be valid.
I already received the confirmation email from my college on the program completion, study permit is valid until August 2019

bongoman

VIP Member
Dec 3, 2014
I already received the confirmation email from my college on the program completion, study permit is valid until August 2019
Then you cant work until you apply for PGWP.
PGWP will only be granted up to passport validity so if you deserve 3 years PGWP but your passport expires in 1 you will get 1 year PGWP, however you can renew your PGWP to get the remaining time so you will need to make another PGWP application when it's nearing expiry and you have your new passport.

shivam.20292

Jun 7, 2018
Then you cant work until you apply for PGWP.
PGWP will only be granted up to passport validity so if you deserve 3 years PGWP but your passport expires in 1 you will get 1 year PGWP, however you can renew your PGWP to get the remaining time so you will need to make another PGWP application when it's nearing expiry and you have your new passport.

That makes sense. So, I can apply my PWGP now and get the permit until my passport validity and then I can apply to get remaining time after couple of months once I have received my renewed passport, right? OR, I will have to wait for my PGWP expiry to apply for the remaining time?