+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Work visa question

camera

Jul 3, 2023
I have some questions because I find myself in this weird quandary. I qualify for jobs that are available and in desperate need for filling, in my case British Columbia. Where I'm struggling is that I can't get a work visa or a PNP without a job offer and I can't get a job offer without a work visa. Maybe I'm looking at this wrong. Has anyone else found themself in this situation and if so, what did you do to either get a work visa or get a job offer in order to get a work visa? I'm racking my brain as to what I'm doing wrong. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I have some questions because I find myself in this weird quandary. I qualify for jobs that are available and in desperate need for filling, in my case British Columbia. Where I'm struggling is that I can't get a work visa or a PNP without a job offer and I can't get a job offer without a work visa. Maybe I'm looking at this wrong. Has anyone else found themself in this situation and if so, what did you do to either get a work visa or get a job offer in order to get a work visa? I'm racking my brain as to what I'm doing wrong. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.
I don't think you're looking at this wrong. It's generally difficult to secure a job offer.

People who hold work permits can secure job offers much much easier. However there are only limited ways to qualify for an open work permit. One way is to come to Canada on a study permit to complete a full time program in Canada that is at least 8 months long. You when qualify for an open work permit afterwards. Another way is to have a spouse who is in Canada on either a closed work permit or on a study permit. Also, there are a limited number of countries where people can qualify for open work permits through the Working Holiday Visa / IEC program (provided they are the right age).

If none of that is possible for you, then you need to find an employer who is willing to give you a job offer and also go through the LMIA process so that you can apply for a closed work permit. The LMIA is long and expensive so employers are generally hesitant to go through this process. But if you keep applying for jobs, you might find someone who is willing.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
What type of employment? For some highly skilled positions it is easier to get a WP and employers are willing to go through the cost time needed to hire someone from abroad. The processing is also faster than other WPs. Are you from a visa exempt country or do you require a visa to travel to Canada?