+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

work permit

Mar 25, 2016
Hi
I had completed two year network technician program in st clair college and i am going for one year business certificate in Saskatchewan somebody told me if I will go for certificate in any other province i will get one year work permit but I had completed two years diploma from st clair college. Can anybody can help me with this one :)

viprewind

Star Member
May 3, 2015
Canada
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
23-05-2018
Doc's Request.
NA
Nomination.....
NA
AOR Received.
23-05-2018
IELTS Request
NA
File Transfer...
NA
Med's Request
NA
Med's Done....
NA
Interview........
NA
Passport Req..
13-07-2018
VISA ISSUED...
18-07-2018
LANDED..........
21-07-2018
zain ul abideen said:
Hi
I had completed two year network technician program in st clair college and i am going for one year business certificate in Saskatchewan somebody told me if I will go for certificate in any other province i will get one year work permit but I had completed two years diploma from st clair college. Can anybody can help me with this one :)
Your last education will be used. So you will get one year. You should apply for PGWP now get three years to work and then I think about PR then you go back to school. This is my best advise

Deepuvnma

Star Member
Jun 1, 2017
Hi friends,

I am doing 2-year Diploma in one private college located in Vancouver having DLI number. My college tied up with one public college located in Ontario.So we are doing that public college program at my college and my college management said we will get two diploma's after completion of course. I tried calling CIC customer support regarding this topic but they didn't give me an exact answer. My doubt is can I get a work permit without any problem?
Can I apply for a work permit with the diploma I got from public college? right now am doing the second semister...can I take a summer break? Taking summer break in diploma makes any problem getting work permit after completion of course?
Please help me with your valuable answers. Thanks in advance. :)

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi friends,

I am doing 2-year Diploma in one private college located in Vancouver having DLI number. My college tied up with one public college located in Ontario.So we are doing that public college program at my college and my college management said we will get two diploma's after completion of course. I tried calling CIC customer support regarding this topic but they didn't give me an exact answer. My doubt is can I get a work permit without any problem?
Can I apply for a work permit with the diploma I got from public college? right now am doing the second semister...can I take a summer break? Taking summer break in diploma makes any problem getting work permit after completion of course?
Please help me with your valuable answers. Thanks in advance. :)
You need to look into whether your program allows you to get PGWP. DLI number doesn't mean anything for PGWP it just means it is licensed. If your program takes a summer break you can take the summer off it. If your course is designed so that the school year last the whole year you can't take the summer off.

Deepuvnma

Star Member
Jun 1, 2017
You need to look into whether your program allows you to get PGWP. DLI number doesn't mean anything for PGWP it just means it is licensed. If your program takes a summer break you can take the summer off it. If your course is designed so that the school year last the whole year you can't take the summer off.
Hi canuck78, Yeah my course is designed that way, so we are taking a summer break. But am worried about my work permit.we are doing st.Lawrence college programme in a Canadian college.st.Lawrence college is located in Ontario my Canadian college is in Vancouver. when I made a call to CIC customer support they said me the existing standard rules but failed to explain whether I can get a work permit or not for doing another public college course any my private college.No one is sure about my work permit.My college management said we will get a work permit for sure but Am not sure and worried about my work permit. Please help me with your suggestion.

Thank you

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Sorry don't know how the public college degree from a private college is interpretted when applying for PGWP.

Deepuvnma

Star Member
Jun 1, 2017
Sorry don't know how the public college degree from a private college is interpretted when applying for PGWP.
My course started in fall so by the end of this month we are going to complete the second semester.In may we take a summer break.After summer break two more semesters. That means course completes in 2019 April.I think we are allowed to apply for a work permit after summer ie in August 2019.

Please find the uploaded image.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
My course started in fall so by the end of this month we are going to complete the second semester.In may we take a summer break.After summer break two more semesters. That means course completes in 2019 April.I think we are allowed to apply for a work permit after summer ie in August 2019.

Please find the uploaded image.
Yes you can take a break without any problems if it is a scheduled break. I am not sure how your private college degree in BC that is in partnership with a public college in Ontario is viewed when applying for pgwp.

Deepuvnma

Star Member
Jun 1, 2017
Yes you can take a break without any problems if it is a scheduled break. I am not sure how your private college degree in BC that is in partnership with a public college in Ontario is viewed when applying for pgwp.
Thanks for your reply. I don't know who can give me a clarification on my issue.

annevn8

Aug 2, 2017
Hello @canuck78, I'd like to check with you if you heard of any recent case of Flagpoling to get PGWP at Southern Ontario bridges? Any problem there?

Thank you