+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Work Permit

stucan

Dec 29, 2014
Hi,

Currently I am doing M.Sc. in Canada and will graduate by Sept 2015. My study permit is valid till Dec 2015.

Recently I have got a full time job offer in the same area of my studies and want to start working right away (before graduation). I am wondering if I can apply for a work permit that allows me to start working at this job as a full time employee. Or can I apply for PGWP before graduation? Please do post your answers. I will be highly thankful.

Yogesh

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
stucan said:
Hi,

Currently I am doing M.Sc. in Canada and will graduate by Sept 2015. My study permit is valid till Dec 2015.

Recently I have got a full time job offer in the same area of my studies and want to start working right away (before graduation). I am wondering if I can apply for a work permit that allows me to start working at this job as a full time employee. Or can I apply for PGWP before graduation? Please do post your answers. I will be highly thankful.

Yogesh
No - there is no work permit you can apply for before graduation that will allow you to start working full time right away. You can work up to 20 hours per week only.

If you want to start working full time right away, your employer will have to obtain an approved LMIA (this process will likely take 3-5 months) and then you will have to apply for a closed work permit (which will take additional processing time). Once the closed work permit is approved you will be able to start working full time - however you'll have to stop attending school since obtaining the closed work permit will cancel your study permit.

stucan

Dec 29, 2014
Scylla,

Thanks very much for your reply. It seems like a lengthy process. I think I would go for PGWP as soon as I complete my studies.
I appreciate your help.

Yogesh