+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

work permit

LC

Sep 20, 2008
i'm contract worker
my current job is to much for me that my body is weak beacuse
of the stress,i work alone with my job.
my question?
is that possible that i will resign and look for another employer?
how about my work permit can i change it?
im working with my employer for 4 months already.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You can change it but you need to first find a new job, then get a new LMO and a change of work permit. It will take 10-11 weeks to change it, possibly longer. You can go to a Service Canada center near you and ask about it.

When you get the new LMO and work permit, you can go to the US border to activate it. You can either stay in your current job while you wait for the new LMO or you can quit. If you stay, you don't have to tell them that you are leaving right away, you can just give your notice when your new permit comes through. If you quit, you can not work until you get your new permit which would leave you with no income for however long it takes.

If you have a contract with your employer, you have to look at this contract for what happens if you break it. If they paid anything for you, maybe they want you to pay it back if you quit. You can find the labour board in your province to ask them if the contract is legal and how much they can make you pay back for.

LC

Sep 20, 2008
Leon said:
thank you..
its been soo helpful
i appreciate ur comment

You can change it but you need to first find a new job, then get a new LMO and a change of work permit. It will take 10-11 weeks to change it, possibly longer. You can go to a Service Canada center near you and ask about it.

When you get the new LMO and work permit, you can go to the US border to activate it. You can either stay in your current job while you wait for the new LMO or you can quit. If you stay, you don't have to tell them that you are leaving right away, you can just give your notice when your new permit comes through. If you quit, you can not work until you get your new permit which would leave you with no income for however long it takes.

If you have a contract with your employer, you have to look at this contract for what happens if you break it. If they paid anything for you, maybe they want you to pay it back if you quit. You can find the labour board in your province to ask them if the contract is legal and how much they can make you pay back for.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Since you are in AB, I can even tell you the number to call if you want to find out about what happens if you break your contract but also if you have issues with working hours and other things, it is 1-877-944-9955 and the website is http://employment.alberta.ca/cps/rde/xchg/hre/hs.xsl/4548.html