+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Work permit/visitor visa query

Pvic

May 14, 2019
Hi all. I am living and working in Canada on closed work permit which is valid till 2026. But soon I am leaving the country for indefinite time. I have a valid TRV visa too for 10 years. I am not bothered about the job or PR and it’s an emergency so I have to leave and won’t come back for years maybe. So i just wanted to know if I can re enter the country with visitor visa let’s say after 3 years just as a regular visitor? Will there be any issues at POE? Do i need to apply for a separate and new Visitor Visa again? Experts please shed some light on this.
Thank you

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi all. I am living and working in Canada on closed work permit which is valid till 2026. But soon I am leaving the country for indefinite time. I have a valid TRV visa too for 10 years. I am not bothered about the job or PR and it’s an emergency so I have to leave and won’t come back for years maybe. So i just wanted to know if I can re enter the country with visitor visa let’s say after 3 years just as a regular visitor? Will there be any issues at POE? Do i need to apply for a separate and new Visitor Visa again? Experts please shed some light on this.
Thank you
The issue of your TRV is tied to your closed WP so if you wish to visit Canada for tourism purposes I would suggest reapplying for a new TRV based on your desired reason to visit to avoid any possible issues when trying to enter Canada.

Pvic

May 14, 2019
The issue of your TRV is tied to your closed WP so if you wish to visit Canada for tourism purposes I would suggest reapplying for a new TRV based on your desired reason to visit to avoid any possible issues when trying to enter Canada.
I got the TRV 10 years validity prior to my work permit. So it will become invalid is that you’re saying? And will they issue new TRV despite of having one already?
Thanks

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I got the TRV 10 years validity prior to my work permit. So it will become invalid is that you’re saying? And will they issue new TRV despite of having one already?
Thanks
So then you can use the TRV you currently have. A TRV doesn’t guarantee entry and given that you were previously on a WP there could be concerns that you will try to remain in Canada. Would makes sure you have a return ticket and a reason for your visit to Canada.

Reactions: forevermore76

CanGoldDigger

Feb 17, 2024
Ottawa
If you have a valid TRV, you might be allowed to enter and most likely you will be. Your closed work permit won't have too much of impact .

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
If you have a valid TRV, you might be allowed to enter and most likely you will be. Your closed work permit won't have too much of impact .
There could be concern that OP will attempt to live in Canada again given previous WP which is why it is a better idea to have proof of your itinerary and return ticket.

forevermore76

May 19, 2024
A TRV in OP's case will allow the opportunity to board an airplane and present themselves at a POE for examination. As @canuck78 said, entry is not guaranteed and would depend on purpose.

Pvic

May 14, 2019
There could be concern that OP will attempt to live in Canada again given previous WP which is why it is a better idea to have proof of your itinerary and return ticket.
My WP is valid till 2026. Will there be issues at POE? My all time entry/exit record in Canada is good I suppose as I never had issues before..